Communting on a budget

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I am finally taking the plunge and commuting to and from work (when the clocks change!).

I am selling a mountain bike to go towards the cost of a decent commuting bike.

I have no real idea on what I want, although single speed and straight bars are the preference and I don't want to spend more than £300.

Has anyone got any experience? or suggestions.

Comments

• Don't think you'd get one for £300 but the Giant Rapid looks nice!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Second-hand Charge Plug? (Current Plug 1 is £449)
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Why straight bar, drop bars make cycling alot easier if there is any headwind or downhills or even long flats with a nice tailwind, plus more hand postions so more comfortable especially for longer distances.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    OnOne Pompinos are cheap and bombproof - so many around they go pretty cheap used. Downside is frame and forks are fairly hefty, but you can't have it both ways.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not sure what your MTB is like but might be worth just getting a cheapo pair of slicks and locking out the suspension to begin with - for £20 you'll have a perfectly adequate commuter, once you've had a go you can then make an informed decision about whether you want to ride geared / SS, flat / drop bars, 700 / 26" wheels etc etc.
  • I hate the mtb though, it has to go !!!
  • leepez
    leepez Posts: 33
    I am finally taking the plunge and commuting to and from work (when the clocks change!).

I am selling a mountain bike to go towards the cost of a decent commuting bike.

I have no real idea on what I want, although single speed and straight bars are the preference and I don't want to spend more than £300.

Has anyone got any experience? or suggestions.

I bought a Dunlop single speed/fixie from Sports Direct for £99 in October.
    I had spare shimano tiagra brakes so fitted them instead and also put on some GP4000S tyres.
    I didnt like the flat bars, so I changed the stem and fitted a spare bontrager road handle bar I had. I had to purchase some Tektro leavers suit and then some Keo pedals, but now the bike looks awesome.

Wheel quality doesn't look the best so they will be next on the list to change, more for reliability than anything else.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    whats the mileage? Any luggage?
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Also remember if your ditching the car your going to be saving a lot of money so you could consider spending a bit more on something a bit better/more comfortable.

Not to mention getting it on cycle to work, or if that not an option go to somewhere like Leisure Lakes and get it on 0% finance, you will probably find the money you save in petrol will be equal to the monthly payments.

I commute to London from MK, bought a tern folder to take on the train for £499 about 6 months ago on finance, the money saved on not getting a tube pass means its already paid for itself.