Cassettes

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm currently using a Tiagra 12-28 cassette, it's the second one I've had on the bike since new and it was bought simply as a like for like replacement by the LBS in my hometown.

Now I'm looking to get a new cassette that I'd fit myself I'm unsure whether to get a 105 11-28 or the Tiagra. Both are reasonably cheap on Wiggle and the price isn't really an influence since the difference is so small.

So the question really is, is there a noticeable difference between the two? Everything else is 105 so from a matching perspective I am leaning to that, though it's not really a big deal as I'm fitting 6800 brakes at the moment in any case.
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I have a tiagra cassette 12-28 but bought a new set of wheels and went for a 105 12-27. I think 11-28 spread was a bit wide, I rarely used 12t so defo did not need the 11t gear.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I've only used the 12t on a few descents, the 28t is only really used when I'm at my parents where it's a good bit hillier than where I live or when I'm not feeling good!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you are spinning out on the 12 then get the 11-28 105, but if not I would not bother with the 11.

I would go for the 12-27 105 personally unless you really need the 28.

You just have to make sure you have the highest and lowest gears you need and personally I would always upgrade quality when replacing worn parts if there is not much difference in the cost.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    There will be something like 50g weight difference, and probably no difference in shifting or durability.
    Red bikes are the fastest.