Which MTB - Trek/Scott/Carrera

Matt1977
Matt1977 Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone, I want to get back into MTBing after a long break. I'm looking at the following bikes, and would appreciate any advice if you have/have looked at these bikes.

Trek 4700D (2013)
Scott Aspec 620 (2013)
Carrera Fury (2014)

I suspect any of the above will be ok for the type of riding I'll be doing - basic XC/trails, not gunning it downhill!
Thank you.

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    IMHO, around the £500 you would be better off looking for a used bike. You would likely receive more bang for your buck.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or post links to get answers. Not many people memorise spec.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Good call. Assuming they are all about the same price.

Fury
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec042073

Aspect
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec042354.

I'm leaning towards the trek because of the remote lock out.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    2nd hand is the way to go at this budget imo.

If you'd prefer new the Calibre 2.2 is as well specced as those bikes and can be had for £350ish. Very well reviewed on here - link.

The Rockrider 8.1 has a spec far better than the others, is reasonably priced and again well reviewed at £550.
    cooldad wrote:

Or use that marvellous new invention called Google.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Matt1977 wrote:
    This would be last on my list of priorities - the Fury seems to have the best fork, but I'd try ride them and see which feels best (not easy from Halfords, though).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    Cookeh wrote:

If you'd prefer new the Calibre 2.2 is as well specced as those bikes and can be had for £350ish. Very well reviewed on here - link.

The Rockrider 8.1 has a spec far better than the others, is reasonably priced and again well reviewed at £550.
    cooldad wrote:

Why T F should I waste my time Googling random bikes for someone else?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cookeh wrote:

Think Google gets used about as much as the Search feature on this forum, I've had pretty much all of my quetions answered without actually having to ask anyone :mrgreen:

And the best bit is reading cooldad's replies to the eegits :lol:

To the OP, the Calibre two.two gets excellent reviews
  • Cookeh
    cooldad wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

cooldad wrote:

In the same vein, why T F should you waste your time posting the same glorified, high horse BS on every thread you come across? Why T F should you bother at all offering advice for someone else?
    Think Google gets used about as much as the Search feature on this forum, I've had pretty much all of my quetions answered without actually having to ask anyone :mrgreen:

All too true, sadly! :D
  • cooldad
    Cookeh wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

cooldad wrote:

In the same vein, why T F should you waste your time posting the same glorified, high horse BS on every thread you come across? Why T F should you bother at all offering advice for someone else?

Because at some stage even children learn to wipe their own backsides. Someone putting in a little effort to help themselves goes a long way.

On a more practical level, actual links to a bike someone is looking at helps. Specs change between countries, and even during model years, so just googling and assuming often doesn't help.

ps the Op doesn't seem to think my request was glorified high horse BS as they posted the info quite happily. Perhaps you should seek counselling for possible anger management issues.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    What's the difference between 'glorified high horse BS' and plain-old, common-or-garden BS? Smells like BS to me
  • cooldad
    Glorified high horse BS

hqdefault.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    Matt1977 wrote:
    This would be last on my list of priorities .

Me too - I don't want something that i don't use cluttering up my bars and getting in the way, plus it's another cable to have to clean and lube, if you don't want it seizing up. When shopping for replcaement forks for my Kraken recently one of my requirements was no remote lockouts - I'd much rather have it on the crown myself.
  • Cookeh
    cooldad wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

cooldad wrote:

Because at some stage even children learn to wipe their own backsides. Someone putting in a little effort to help themselves goes a long way.

On a more practical level, actual links to a bike someone is looking at helps. Specs change between countries, and even during model years, so just googling and assuming often doesn't help.

ps the Op doesn't seem to think my request was glorified high horse BS as they posted the info quite happily. Perhaps you should seek counselling for possible anger management issues.

I simply don't understand your attitude to, well, anything tbh. Obviously you're happy to help people or you wouldn't be commenting on these threads, but then your perpetual issue with specs not being posted and almost requiring they provide you with the links before you consider answering just makes no sense. It takes mere seconds to look up the spec of the bike they're referencing - infact it would be quicker than asking them to link it themselves. They've clearly already put in 'a little effort' to come across the bikes that they are asking about. Whilst you are correct re model years, if someone is looking to buy new I'd wager the majority of the time they are looking at the latest model.

Irregardless of my opinion of you, this has nothing to do with OPs question, so I shall leave it at that - I presume, given your age, you will have the maturity to do the same.
  • cooldad
    If you say so.

But the best way to help people, IMHO, is to make them do some thinking. So actually read stuff and try and make sense of it before throwing their hands up and post HELP HELP HELP threads.

This is a generalisation and applies mainly to technical issues. It in no way refers to the current thread or OP.

You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Cookeh wrote:
    I simply don't understand your attitude to, well, anything tbh.

You have to remember that he's a miserable old sod, and only happy when he's whingeing... :lol:
  • Cookeh
    cooldad wrote:
    If you say so.

But the best way to help people, IMHO, is to make them do some thinking. So actually read stuff and try and make sense of it before throwing their hands up and post HELP HELP HELP threads.

This is a generalisation and applies mainly to technical issues. It in no way refers to the current thread or OP.

You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

Well naturally that is the way forward. But isn't it apparent they've already done that? I mean, how else would they have come up with a list of bikes - they must have compared specs along the way to create a shortlist, and now they just need some advice off of those with more grounding and more experience to guide the last step of the way.
    There is a very common and, imo, fantastic quote that states "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent" - and while not directly transplantable to this situation the crux of it does relate to gaining experience and knowledge through asking questions, through immersing yourself with people more knowledgable than yourself.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cookeh wrote:
    I simply don't understand your attitude
    I'm with CD here, the spec needs to be correct in terms of market, MY etc, also you can end up with 10 responders trying to find the right bike which is inefficient next to the one poster finding the stuff that they are, after all, interested in for themselves.

I would have said it was a no brainer, but it appears some is required to 'get it'. :D
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Cookeh wrote:
    I simply don't understand your attitude to, well, anything tbh.

You have to remember that he's a miserable old sod, and only happy when he's whingeing... :lol:
    Whatever, lol, could you recommend a miserable old sod motorcycle?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for the constructive input, I skipped through the argument. I didn't mean to kick something off. I did do some research, but getting opinions is as important as specs/reviews. bikes, like cars & women are personal things, and everyone likes something different. I'm off to Evans this afternoon, and will probably end up with the trek. not for the RL, but because I've heard the frame is slightly better than the others.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I very much doubt the frame is better than the others in reality. Its a shame the debate took away from advice re your specific request.

I would go for the bike with the best fork, simple as that. Probably the Carrera in this case.

If you have a Decathlon near you the Rockrider 8.1 would trump all of them.
  • Cookeh
    chrisw333 wrote:
    I very much doubt the frame is better than the others in reality. Its a shame the debate took away from advice re your specific request.

I would go for the bike with the best fork, simple as that. Probably the Carrera in this case.

If you have a Decathlon near you the Rockrider 8.1 would trump all of them.

Essentially this. At lower budgets, the fork should be the keystone in your decision.

As mentioned earlier and again here, the Rockrider 8.1 is very hard to beat at this budget.
  • Evans didn't have the frame size in stock (even on another model), despite telling me on phone they had. They arranged for the trek to be delivered in for next w/end. In the meantime I'll check out decathalon, there's one about 20miles away. It's £75 more than Evans are asking for the trek, but looks like to have the next level up in components, tempting...
  • I'm looking at exactly this. My snag is my cyclescheme certificate is 500 so doubt decathlon will let me top up for the Rockrider 8.1 and Halfords don't take it. So i'm looking for alternatives and stumbled across the Trek and a couple of others at Evans. I'm going to speak to Decathlon tomorrow and then pop into Evans.

I reckon any of them will be a step up and feel luxurious from my current MTB :-)

Good luck with your decision
  • chrisw333
    If there's any way you can get the Rockrider, it will be worth the effort.
  • not bought yet. went to halfords and was shown last years boardman comp. seemed like nice bike. Also checked out the rockrider 8.1. both are good bikes....and away from original ideas based on spec and price!!!
  • chrisw333
    Those are exactly the two bikes you should be picking from.

Personally, I prefer the Boardman as I like a 120mm travel fork. But the RR is a great spec. Think you'll be happy with either.