Bike transfer Geneva airport to Chamonix

mjcaskey
mjcaskey Posts: 94
edited January 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Does anyone know of a reasonable transfer company or other solution to transport 4 cyclists with bike boxes from Geneva airport to the Chamonix area, and then back again a week later....early June this year.

So far we are being offered very expensive options (480 euros which seems a lot to me), or emails get no response, perhaps because this is fairly early season for the Summer and all operators are in ski mode right now. I have looked at train services but none work to our schedule.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Train GVA - Martigny (1/2 hourly)
    Train GVA - Chamonix (Hourly IIRC)
  • Thanks for this.

But the problem is timing. The train to Chamonix does not run early or late which makes transfer to or from the airport a problem ... a function of flight times. Any other ideas?
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Hire a car - Europcar have a depot to drop cars off next to Chamonix station IIRC
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Use these guys when go out for the winter and relatives recommend them to clients using their chalet

http://www.skiidygonzales.com

May be worth sending them an email for what its worth. Guessing that summer prices may be higher than winter due to decreased demand. Tend to drive out for the summer (Morzine) and find it not too bad a journey.
  • Thanks for the suggestion, I emailed them. Initially they offered a competitive quote which I accepted. But they have now got back to me to say they can't help.
    On a positive note they have referred us on to a local van company. No word from them yet. I will post again if we succeed.
    Tricky problem. It seems difficult to arrange transport for what is only a 90 min drive at most. It does not help that we are going fairly early in June. But the big stumbling block is the bike boxes.

I have 5 months to sort this out I guess. Any other ideas gratefully received. Thank you to all who have contributed so far.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,860
    100km direct, so just over an hour. A quick google: http://www.chamonix.net/english/transpo ... -transfers

I suspect that there are businesses that do winter transfers who haven't got nearly so much to do in the Summer, so worth trying.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Chamonix is busier in the summer than the winter due to the climbing.
  • Thanks for all the advice.

A company known as Cham-van.com have offered to transfer the team of 4 with bikes, door to door in Servoz for 150 euros each way. All I am fairly happy this is a reasonably good deal.

We are attempting a circuit of Mont Blanc over 4 days through Switzerland and Italy. This is the last link in the trip.

Looking forward and thanks again