New Commuter, Which Bike?

pabotto
pabotto Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hi all,
I am fairly new to cycling, last year I did a charity 150 mile weekend ride and got the bug. Unfortunately the only bike I had in the garage was a cheap muddy fox thing, I am 6ft and it was way to small for me and I ended up ruining my knee. For the ride I managed to borrow a Trek mountain bike with front suspension, I can't remember which one. which was a lot less painful (apart from the 150 miles!). Unfortunately it took a few months for my knees to recover after that so I have missed cycling, I want to get back in to it and use for my commute to work in Poole, it is about 15 miles each way, about 60% road and 40% trails/off road. I did it a few times training last year on the Trek bike and it was fine. I have been looking at hybrid bikes but in reality know nothing about what I need. I am looking for a cheap bike with disc brakes ideally and then forks with a lockout (or is this just a gimmick) as I think some suspension for the trails/off road might well be needed but I don't want suspension to slow me down on the roads.
I have a maximum budget of around £300.00 which limits me massively I know, I have seen some Claud Butler one, a DIAMONDBACK CONTRA FLOW 2012, and a felt one I think I saw. Any advice? I am happy to buy second hand and did like the Trek bike I borrowed but figure Trek will be too expensive for me.

Comments

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    If your budget is £300 then a used bike will potentially provide much better spec for the money. I have a Voodoo Hoodoo which has a reasonable fork which has lock out, the biggest chnage you could then make would be tyres.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd agree, any bike at that price with the added cost of a lockout will be poorly specced and probably have undamped forks making it nastier over bumpy stuff than a rigid forks.

2 choices as I see it
    1/ A Hybrid with larger volume tyres to smooth the rough stuff but still with rigid forks
    2/ A used semi decent MTB such as the Hoodoo upwards, better forks will even come with a pedal platform negating the need for a lockout.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you, without sounding really thick what is a pedal platform? I do think having some suspension was a huge help especially on bumpy bike trails but see so many hybrids without suspension and don't understand how that won't be uncomfortable? But maybe I have just been fooled by marketing over the years?
  • You don't need suspension for off road paths. A hybrid will suit you fine take a look at the Trek FX range.
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Edinburgh bicycle cooperative

have a look at the cheapest revolution cross (cyclocross bikes). If you could stretch to the budget of £375 and the size is right, it'd probably be just the ticket. 15 miles can be a looong way on a mountain bike - speaking from experience, a cross bike has revolutionised my 12 1/2 mile commute (through the New Forest, 40% on tracks / gravel trails).
  • The Rookie
    edited January 2014
    pabotto wrote:
    Thank you, without sounding really thick what is a pedal platform?
    It's never thick to ask....

Pedal platform is a part of the suspension systems on better modern mountain bikes that means the damper makes the component near rigid against the typical movement seen as a reaction to pedalling yet moves freely in reaction to lumps and bumps, I have that feature in my Manitou forks (Manitou call it SPV, other manufacturers have their own name).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Davidxyz wrote:
    Redacted so as not to promulgate!
    And your post stinks of tinned pork meat....

You stumbled across the website or you own it?
  • Thank you, ah another New Forest cyclist, its from the edge of there that I travel to Poole from, hence why I have to go off road. A31 would kill me. But would you get pedal platform on a bike with no front suspension? Is it worth me hunting around for ex-hire bikes? Or would they mainly be full suspension?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on the Giant Revel 2?

I'm seeing that fairly cheap.

Could I add disc brakes at a later date or is that impossible?
  • or a Saracen Tufftrax Disc 2014?
  • I'm in the Hybrid or Cross camp for a 15 mile commute. I started an 8 mile commute a couple of years ago and on the hybrid its a lot more enjoyable than the MTB, even on gravel/dirt paths.

With the right tyre choice, something like the Specialized Sirrus (if you prefer flat bars) might be a good choice, available here from Cycle Surgery for £300 - spend a little beer money on a change of tyres to suit your commute (maybe some CX tyres) ...

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... lsrc=aw.ds

Edited to add, that a low cost CX option, something like this: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes at £75 over budget might be viable, but if you're used to mountain bikes with flat bars, I'd recommend a few drop bar test rides to be sure you're happy with the change in riding position. I bought a road bike last year and it took a few rides before I was happy, and I've yet to commute on drop bars, simply because I'm happy with the flat bar hybrid.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url