H2 cyclogym thingums

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys

Has anyone tried one of these? I was thinking of using work Gym membership to join as I work nearby the Soho one. All I'd really use it for is the odd spin class and a bit of an upper body work out just to keep my arms looking sexy for the laydaaayyyys. Other than that, the secure (overnight) bike storage and the showers would be useful for nights out on the razz.

Any opinions?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    ddraver wrote:
    Hi Guys

Has anyone tried one of these? I was thinking of using work Gym membership to join as I work nearby the Soho one. All I'd really use it for is the odd spin class and a bit of an upper body work out just to keep my arms looking sexy for the lads. Other than that, the secure (overnight) bike storage and the showers would be useful for nights out on the razz.

Any opinions?

FTFY
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Pricing looks pretty reasonable for gym membership, especially in central london. If it's near to work and you need secure bike parking then I'd say it's a winner.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Interesting that BR Commuting take up has been so low...is that becasue not many of us bother with Gyms anyway?

What I'd really like is a swimming pool but I can't find a chain with a half decent* one nearby

*one that you could actually bash out some lengths in!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Personally, I gave up my gym membership about 12 years ago. My office has shower facilities and inside bike parking. Given I do 80-90 minutes of cycling a day I feel no need of a gym. I do core work and gymfree resistance training at home (when I can be bothered).

I do have cyclist's arms, though.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Can't stand yer health-club style gyms, too crowded at any useful time of day, and full of tossers for the most part. I've got squat rack, olympic bar/weights & bench in garage at home but have found that one or two days off the bike a week is necessary to make any progress with it, and even then it's hard work. The need to recover puts a dent in SCR activity, too. I've not lifted a weight in months and since abandoning my desire to combine fitness on the bike with weights, everything seems much more enjoyable and straightforward. If I get my weight down to a reasonable level, might start doing some bodyweight-only upper body stuff, but only for the sake of vanity really.

All that said, I assume it'd cost you nada and the bike parking sounds useful, so it seems a bit of a no-brainer!
  • I normally do enought lifting etc to keep upper body strong if not toned, also my biking is SS and Mtb so I use upper body strength etc.

At moment I'm off the bike for a while, I had thought about Gym's but frankly I get tired so quickly at moment may not be wise or fruitfull use of my time.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I picked up that you fractured your skull Roger, but maybe missed when you described what happened? What's the score?
  • PBo wrote:
    I picked up that you fractured your skull Roger, but maybe missed when you described what happened? What's the score?

I don't remember I thing I was found in on the ground in Bushy Park, a fellow cyclist stopped put me in the recovery position and rang for a ambulance, shortly after that Veronese68 arrived and looked after my bike. I don't remember this so.

I ended up in St Georges for a few days on the trauma ward I have fleeting memory's of this time. had a number of tests but so far no smoking gun as in reason I did have a high take off on the ECG when I came in but apparently having a knock to the head can do that anyway...

garmin shows a fairly sedate pace of 13mph, i'd made the corner. don't suppose i'll ever know, such is life.

i"m very grateful for Veronese68 and the other cyclist for stopping and helping that Wednesday.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Flippin' 'Eck!

Well, I hope you continue to recover...

Apologies for thread hijacking....