Michelin Latex Tube Warranties

TMP
TMP Posts: 180
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I have three A1 Latex tubes which have problems. With two of them the valves have failed and the other one keeps popping holes when inflated in tyre envelope.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of dealing with Michelin regarding problems with their Latex tubes? And where to get in touch with them?

Thanks

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Your first port of call is the supplier. How old are they and where did you get them from?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've stopped using the Michelin latex as the last lot I had were rubbish. All three blew near the valve for no apparent reason.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • TMP
    The tubes are a few years old but only just recently started using them. I purchased them new from the bay.
    Who is the supplier?
  • If the yare a few years old and you got them on Ebay, you can forget about any form of warranty
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ebay bargain = bad batch going cheap? Bin 'em and put it down to experience.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    ^this and ^^this

old latex == degraded latex

moisture, air, solvents, bacteria, light, heat, etc. all hasten it's demise

like old rubber bands, kids' balloons etc. that lose flexibility and eventually fall apart
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I use Challenge ones, they're lighter too, although they don't have threads on the valve stem for people who like screwing them down with the round nut (personally I throw those in the bin labelled 'pointless' along with valve dust caps).
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've been using Michelin latex tubes purchased from Decathlon for £6.99 a pop for a couple of seasons and I've had zero trouble with them.
  • TMP
    Thanks for reviews and opinions chums.
    Exposure to UV particularly (sunlight eg), and other environmental factors all cause unintentional wear to the detriment of rubber/tyres/latex unless not stored properly.

I have quite a few tubes and they too have been good for a good while. The other tubes I'm referring to have simply failed after an unreasonably short span of life. They've all been taken good care of. Hence I wish to follow this up. All I am asking is to find out who to call/deal with regarding Michelin products? Supplier, who is it?
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    The supplier is the person you bought it from on eBay. As others have said, forget about warranty, it's not going to happen.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought inner tubes were something that did not have a warranty from day one anyway, even if bought from a shop.

Can you let us know what the ebay guy says when you ask for a refund/replacement for the tubes you bought from him 3 years ago.
    Blank out all of the swear words though ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mfin wrote:
    I use Challenge ones, they're lighter too, although they don't have threads on the valve stem for people who like screwing them down with the round nut (personally I throw those in the bin labelled 'pointless' along with valve dust caps).

Latex tubes are the things that most require threaded valves and the round locknut.

You have to pump up a partially inflated tube before every ride and the locknut stops the valve stem being pushed back into the tyre and ripping around where the valve joins the tube.

I would not be surprised if thats why people on this thread have experienced problems with tubes failing around the valve stem.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    My experience with Michelin Latex tubes after several years using them is that the core of the valve has broken away on two of these tubes after a year or more of repeated pumpings- - and the cores can't be repaired as they're not the screw-in type of core. Not had any failures at the base of the valve stem.

Have been using another pair tho' for the past few months and they have been fine and are inflated several times a week.
    I have tried the Vittoria latex tubes and they lose pressure less quickly than the Michelin but I can swear the Michelin ones by comparison give a more floaty ride quality.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I've stopped using the Michelin latex as the last lot I had were rubbish. All three blew near the valve for no apparent reason.
    Exactly the same here.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap