topeak seat post mounted panier racks?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Has anyone got a topeak pannier rack that mounts to the seatpost and if so how do you rate them? Looking to get some panniers on my hybrid for commuting but want to be able to remove them and the rack easily for when I want to use a baby seat or ride without the rack and panniers. Was looking at the expandable bags which have panniers made into side compartments that fold out when needed. Most I will be carrying is my lunch and a spare change of clothes. Tried a good backpack but still get a sweaty back a problem I don't suffer when riding without a bag.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The trouble with seatpost mounted racks is they have no side supports to stop the pannier swinging into the rear wheel, they only really work with top bags.

Why not get the type of seat that fits over a sturdy rack and then mount either the panniers or seat to the rack.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Thanks for the advice new thought about the seat post mounted rack swinging into the rear wheel, could be expensive and dangerous. I will enquire in my LBS to see what they suggest as they tend to be quite helpful. I will look into seats that can mount on a rack/over a rack.
  • The topeak ones can also come with support for panniers: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-qr-beam- ... 5300019693