Channel 5 Now

upperoilcan
upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
Are any of you watching ?

It amazes me how people let themselves get like it.
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    It's adverts at the moment, but I'm guessing it will put me off my dinner.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Obesity -> diabetes ->infection -> amputation

I can't imagine how I'd feel if I lost a leg through cake.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Honestly,there's another guy on this programme who is 27 yrs old and weighs a colossal 31 stones,he's so fat he has all sorts of medical problems.He now has to walk with the aid of a Zimmer frame !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Ordinarily I would have little sympathy for people who become immensely fat.

Recently however, I injured my Achilles and calf muscle, and spent 11 weeks off the bike. It coincided with Christmas, and also a new years trip to France (where it is illegal to not eat cheese).

I put on weight. 4kg of weight. 4000g of fat.

I recall feeling sorry for myself, thinking, "it's nearly Christmas, I'll have a pint / some nuts / a steak / cheese on my pasta / more pasta / chocolate" etc, in the spirit of cheering myself up.

The other day I was back on my lightweight modern miracle of a bike and imagined I was being pulled into the ground, pulled backwards, as I tried to keep up with the club ride. I felt ashamed, humbled.

Yes, I understand that grossly overweight people shouldn't get so fat, and that there are good reasons why they should eat better, eat less, move more. But getting so fat seems to me to be easy enough to do if you're mentally not "on top", and I can completely understand when people suggest that obesity is as much a symptom of mental illness, as it is a physical problem.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Only 4kg? I managed 5. I didn't notice until I put on my trousers for work. Snug. It's all coming off now though.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A post about weight issue in The Cake Stop - oh the irony :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    A post about weight issue in The Cake Stop - oh the irony :mrgreen:

A new set of lightweight wheels will sort out any christmas excesses.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    GiantMike wrote:
    Obesity -> diabetes ->infection -> amputation

I can't imagine how I'd feel if I lost a leg through cake.
    But cake is really nice. lso if you're that fat a leg would weigh quite a bit, and you probably don't use them as much as more active people do, so losing a leg would be an effective way to lose weight.