Swapping cassette - spacer question

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm about to take an Ultegra 6700 cassette off some Mavic Aksiums that came with a new bike and put the cassette onto my Fulcrum RZeros. Can you tell me if this is a simple, straight swap or will I need to add or remove a spacer?

N.b. both wheels and cassette are 10 speed.

Thanks.

Comments

• NANS295
    NANS295 Posts: 11
    As long as the freehub on the fulcrum wheel is shimano fitting and not campagnolo I think you should be good to go.
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    Yup...only problem I had was the chain whip took the skin off my knuckles in payment.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Thanks for the replies! Yes, the Fulcrum wheel is a Shimano fitting so hopefully it should go well. I will take extra care with the chain whip!!!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You will need to remove a spacer

The Aksiums, being Mavic M10 hub, will have a Mavic spacer on them, approx 3mm thick

The cassette, being Shimano 10sp, will also have a spacer, approx 1mm thick

So you should find two spacers, keep the thicker one with the Mavic wheels and don't put it on the Fulcrums, transfer the thinner one over with the cassette

This is covered in the FAQ viewtopic.php?f=40101&t=12586223

Now if either wheels are 11sp compatible (the Aksiums might be if they're off a new bike ?), this might be slightly different...
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    andy_wrx wrote:

Now if either wheels are 11sp compatible (the Aksiums might be if they're off a new bike ?), this might be slightly different...

Just for clarity, the Aksiums will be 11spd compatible. If the Fulcrums are too then all spacers should be transferred with the cassette. If the Fulcrums are 8/9/10spd then only the 1mm spacer should be transferred with the cassette:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette ... _3257.html
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    The mavic 1.75mm spacer needs to stay with the mavic wheels.