New full carbon forks question.

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I have just got my new forks and was wondering what needs to go in the end for the headset cap to screw to it? I bought a FSA integrated headset which comes with a part to go inside but it seems to big and also I read somewhere that there is a certain part to go into carbon steerers? I have attached a picture to show what I mean

photo.jpg

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Look up fork expander plug, or bung. The thing in the picture is a star fangled nut and is NOT suitable for a carbon steerer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 - whatever you do, don't whack that thing into your carbon steerer :shock:
  • carl1983
    carl1983 Posts: 162
    Ok advice taken lol. I have ordered a FSA bung for £8.99! Every time I think I have got everything for my new build something else crops up!
  • majormantra
    That's perfectly normal! :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Also make sure you have at least 3mm of extra steerer above the stem (with appropriate spacer fitted) as carbon steerers need this to prevent wear/stress to the exposed top surface.

Something like this
    8468553536_678382ca0c_z_d.jpg
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • majormantra
    smidsy wrote:
    Also make sure you have at least 3mm of extra steerer above the stem (with appropriate spacer fitted) as carbon steerers need this to prevent wear/stress to the exposed top surface.

Something like this
    8468553536_678382ca0c_z_d.jpg

That is generally a good idea, although some manufacturer's forbid more than 5mm of spacers above the stem. Others insist on at least 5mm below the stem.

I would recommend following the fork manufacturer's instructions.