POLL: Raceblades or Crud Roadracer things?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
So: which do I go for on my (now filthy) Cinelli? 23mm tyres, minimal clearances (probably would struggle with 25mm tyres)

All fitting horrors taken into account

Am now off to clean the bike :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    If there is a hint of toe overlap then avoid the road racers. Snapped my front clean off. Rear one works well though.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Is toe overlap a new thing that people are focusing on?
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Raceblades.

Use Roadracers and they are ok if you have VERY minimal clearance, butter than having nothing. However I found them very flimsy.
  • pitchshifter
    NeXXus wrote:

Eh? If the wheel touches your toe when you turn the wheel the front mudguard will more than likely break. It depends on frame size/geometry.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:

Eh? If the wheel touches your toe when you turn the wheel the front mudguard will more than likely break. It depends on frame size/geometry.
    Doesn't a bicycle turn largely by leaning? And if your toe is anywhere near the wheel whilst turning, does that not suggest you maybe need to I dunno, not have your foot there?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    NeXXus wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

Doesn't a bicycle turn largely by leaning? And if your toe is anywhere near the wheel whilst turning, does that not suggest you maybe need to I dunno, not have your foot there?

I'd love to see you turn out of a T junction primarily by leaning :lol:
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • NeXXus
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

Have a go at the rest of the post. :wink:
  • The Crud Roadrace guards are a bit of a pain but I have no choice on my bike. The clearance is tiny which is mainly down to the bike too. Therefore anything that gets picked up off the road can snag and cause a rubbing noise until it dislodges. Mud is particually bad.

The brushes that are supposed to keep your rims in better nick fell off mine in about 2 weeks. The rear isnt too bad, but the front can rattle around and get caught by your foot which dislodges the whole thing and causes rubbing.

Best thing really is a winter bike with clearance for proper guards and disk brakes.
  • DiscoBoy
    NeXXus wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

Have a go at the rest of the post. :wink:

Okay. I'd like to see you turn out of a T junction without pedalling.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here anyway, I've never had a problem with toe overlap. A friend of mine has a frame with overlap and he got used to it pretty quickly... he only nearly crashed a few times on his first trips out.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Can't wait to take the Cruds off but in the meantime I've been pleased with them. While they can rattle about a little over rough stuff, they're light and do the job. I thought fitting straight forward after seeing the video guide on their site. No experience of the other guard
  • NeXXus wrote:

Toe overlap isn't the end of the world unless you fall off and die.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • NeXXus
    DiscoBoy wrote:

I turn lots of corners without pedaling. Pretty standard cornering puts your weight on the outside pedal at the bottom of the stroke ie: 6 o'clock.

Toe-overlap? Sounds like something intelligence lacking persons use to explain their poor bike handling and awareness. :lol:
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:

Toe overlap isn't the end of the world unless you fall off and die.
    :lol:
  • pitchshifter
    edited January 2014
    NeXXus wrote:

Toe-overlap? Sounds like something intelligence lacking persons use to explain their poor bike handling and awareness. :lol:

Any thoughts on the original mudguard question as you clearly don't ride a bike much?

Or perhaps you have really small feet so toe overlap isnt an issue at all? :wink:
  • Never used Cruds. But I have used the full SKS Chromoplastics and Race Blades in the past. I just fitted Race Blade Longs to my Felt and they're the best of the three in my opinion. Less rattley and much easier to fit than the other two. Won't destroy your seatstays like the short Race Blades will.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:

Any thoughts on the original mudguard question as you clearly don't ride a bike much?
    I voted on it yes. How would you know how much I ride though?
  • DiscoBoy
    NeXXus wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

I turn lots of corners without pedaling. Pretty standard cornering puts your weight on the outside pedal at the bottom of the stroke ie: 6 o'clock.

Anyone who has ridden a bike with toe overlap will know that it is tricky to set off from stationary and turn, for example when you've been waiting at a T junction.
  • NeXXus
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Anyone who has ridden a bike with toe overlap will know that it is tricky to set off from stationary and turn, for example when you've been waiting at a T junction.
    It's a built in feature?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Crud Roadrace guards are a bit of a pain but I have no choice on my bike. The clearance is tiny which is mainly down to the bike too. Therefore anything that gets picked up off the road can snag and cause a rubbing noise until it dislodges. Mud is particually bad.

I've worn about 3 main pieces out because of this. Most of the damage occurs on single rides where the consistency of the mud is just right to get stuck under the mudguard. Anyway, I fitted a new set and solved the problem of the minimal clearance in moments. Just apply a little heat from a tea light on the main piece just behind where the tie wrap holds the piece to the brake. Gently bend the front bit up a little. Not enough that you think you've done anything - just enough so that you can see you have when you compare it to the untouched guard. When you fit them, you will find you have loads more space, there's no squeaking when it rains and the stays seem to stay in position better. It's transformed them. A bit of heat on the nose might be handy as well.

Also, the tip to spray the underside with GT85 sounds worth a go.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Having had both and the SKS ones breaking on me, i vote for the Cruds, mine are very good on a bike with minimal clearance, spares easy to get hold of too.