Topeak Multitool chocolate teapot

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Great design includes chain tool.

Unfortunately it requires an allen key to screw in the black piston.
Allen key is not removable from the multitool and will of course not reach

So, you need to carry a separate tool to operate your multitool.

Brilliant.

15057246-3373-458B-B3E0-1438ACDFBA8C.jpg

Or you could unscrew the end of the multitool and remove the allen key.

Drat! Thats requires an allen key to do it. Foiled again.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Snap the sides off and you will find treasure.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Or you take out the black tool from the side which are tyre levers and discover that one has a built in allen key ...

Dufus! ;)
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Snap the sides off and you will find treasure.

You are indeed a wise man.

Yours humbly :oops:

This is why I try things at home first.
  • marcusjb
    The tool probably came with a piece of paper with some words printed on it. I know most of us like to throw this away, but sometimes, just sometimes, they have useful words, and even pictures on them. ;)
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Slowbike wrote:
    Or you take out the black tool from the side which are tyre levers and discover that one has a built in allen key ...

Dufus! ;)

:lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I feel your pain. I too know the feeling of being unable to work the chain tool on a Hexus! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited January 2014
    Got a Hexus but it sits unused (save for the occasional use when tinkering with the bike at home). Always preferred their 'Mini 18' multitool instead. Just works better and is what sits in my backpack all the time. Those plastic tyre levers on the Hexus don't seem like they'd be upto the job of getting a tricky tyre off anyways.
  • marcusjb
    All the Topeak tools are excellent in general - I have a Mini 18 in the saddlebag of the distance bike and it covers just about every eventuality. I have an Alien II in the commuting panniers - bit hefty, but all good.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I've had this for years. Comes in two bits so you can remove the alan keys if you dont want to take them out with you. Also means you can use it with the chain tool and also has a chain hook for disconnecting, reconnecting chains.

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p2852_Pocket-Tool-PT-16-Multitool.html
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ouija wrote:
    Those plastic tyre levers on the Hexus don't seem like they'd be upto the job of getting a tricky tyre off anyways.
    Worked fine until I offered to help my colleague with his old trike when it had been sat outside in the snow all day (at work) ... snapped off the ends of the levers - had to use a screwdriver to get the tyres off in the end ... !

I just carry spare levers now... hardly an issue
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    Those plastic tyre levers on the Hexus don't seem like they'd be upto the job of getting a tricky tyre off anyways.
    Worked fine until I offered to help my colleague with his old trike when it had been sat outside in the snow all day (at work) ... snapped off the ends of the levers - had to use a screwdriver to get the tyres off in the end ... !

I just carry spare levers now... hardly an issue

Handy hint, if you snap a tyre lever and need to improvise, use your wheels quick release lever.
  • marcusjb
    ^ good tip

Or the office teaspoons, if you've forgotten your tyre levers due to a bag change and your bike doesn't have Q/R wheels!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    marcusjb wrote:
    ^ good tip

Or the office teaspoons, if you've forgotten your tyre levers due to a bag change and your bike doesn't have Q/R wheels!

How do you undo the wheel nuts with a teaspoon??
  • Handier hint. Only use tyres and rims that you can get on and off with your fingers.
  • marcusjb
    keef66 wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    ^ good tip

How do you undo the wheel nuts with a teaspoon??

Ah, well, that takes special skills.

I had swapped panniers and had remembered a box spanner (fixed wheel bike, so Q/Rs not really an option). Got a fairly slow puncture close enough to work to make it to the office. Went to change tube at lunch and no tyre levers. Sure, I could wrestle the tyre off - but 2 teaspoons and the job was done.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Never been so glad to have something in my pack as I was on Sunday with my Hexus II. On my fifth lap of Bikepark Wales, my brand new chain snapped halfway up Beast of Burden. At this point I was pretty much running on empty, and my hands were cold and numb. I had really struggled to break the chain at home when originally shortening it using my old chain breaker, but with it's little double-hooked wire for holding the ends of the chain in place, and excellent construction, the Hexus got the job done in record quick time and no fuss - top marks!
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I swear by my Hexus II and the chain tool has came to mine and others' rescue a few times. I used to think the tyre levers were fine until I snapped the tip off one on a particularly tight tyre. I now carry a couple of Pedro's levers alongside the Hexus.