"Quicklink" isn't! Help with alternatives

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I needed to change my Shimano 10 speed chain so i bought a new one.

The old chain was fitted with a KMC Quicklink, which, after watching a few videos, appeared to be fairly easy to open.
It wasn't.

So, I used my chain tool to split the old chain and then fit the new one.
All working, all good.

I then got to thinking that it would be good to carry some spare link, or even better, a Quicklink (if I could work the darn things) as a spare for roadside emergencies.

So, here are my questions.

1. Should I just ditch the Quicklink idea and stick to chain tool, pins and normal links?
2. Why can't I open the stupid thing?
3. What do you do?
4. What have I missed?

I really do not want to carry one of those special pairs of pliers for this unlikely eventuality. I have enough crud in my jersey already.

Thanks.

Here is the offending link.

548D2FCB-85D8-4045-BF0E-DC5D9C4B6776.jpg

Comments

• caad8
    caad8 Posts: 51
    1. Should I just ditch the Quicklink idea and stick to chain tool, pins and normal links?
    - Up to you, worth keeping one in the chain just in case,
    2. Why can't I open the stupid thing?
    - Tight tolerances bunged up with lube/detritus, application of proper tool? (All mere suggestions)
    3. What do you do?
    - I use a wippermann connex link. Works by chain tension and never fails to open with cold hands/filthy chain. Also carry a spillter tool and a few 9 and 10 speed pins just incase I can help someone else (have done so already).
    4. What have I missed?
    - Nothing, I have used 'quick links' purely to join chains on the premice that they will never be opened again. The wippermann is superb for braking/making a chain.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    They''re designed to be easy to install rather than easy to "undo". Needlenose pliers or masterlink pliers make this job a lot easier.

Also I don't understand why you would want to undo it when out on the bike? Carry one or two sets with you if your chain snaps, you can then shorten the chain to get you home with these.
  • heez29 wrote:
    They''re designed to be easy to install rather than easy to "undo". Needlenose pliers or masterlink pliers make this job a lot easier.

Also I don't understand why you would want to undo it when out on the bike? Carry one or two sets with you if your chain snaps, you can then shorten the chain to get you home with these.

You are right! Thats me not really thinking it through. A few links will cover me for repairs. Thanks.
  • caad8
    caad8 Posts: 51
    You will still need a chain tool for roadside emergencies if your chain breaks as you cannot join an outer/inner plate with a quick link. Up to you though.
  • caad8 wrote:
    You will still need a chain tool for roadside emergencies if your chain breaks as you cannot join an outer/inner plate with a quick link. Up to you though.
    I always carry a chain tool. Thanks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    caad8 wrote:
    3. What do you do?
    - I use a wippermann connex link. Works by chain tension and never fails to open with cold hands/filthy chain. Also carry a spillter tool and a few 9 and 10 speed pins just incase I can help someone else (have done so already).

This is worth considering - they do seem much easier to remove than some of the others (though oddly, they don't seem to respond well to my quick link pliers!

If you do get these, spend a while making sure you know which way they go on. It isn't hugely obvious. There is a tiny little bevelled edge on one side of the link and this should be on the cog side of the quicklink.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Well I fiddle and pushed and eventually got it open with a pair of thin nose pliers pushing the bushings either sides of the link together.

Silly thing is that I can now install and remove it on a spare piece of chain easily with my hands. Makes me think they wear a little and are really not meant to be reused.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    There's a knack to it. Use to have to use pliers and now i don't. There's a specific way of applying the pressure and then pushing that makes it work every time. If you don't do it right they'll frustrate the hell out of you. Practice doing it quite a few times and you'll finally find the combination that works (no, i can't describe it in words, you either get it eventually or you don't).
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Older quicklinks are usually easier to remove since they've worn down a bit. And there is a version (called the 'pro-link' I think?) which is stronger and does require tools to remove.

You should generally be able to do it without tools, and without too much effort. Put some gloves on (I like nitrile gloves - other rubbery materials will work too :mrgreen: ) and the key is to squeeze the middle of the link together quite hard, then you shouldn't have to put much effort in when you are pushing the two ends towards each other.

There is also a trick where you can isolate the link on the big chain-ring and apply pressure that way, but its hard to explain! I'll try and find something to illustrate it later.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    Ouija wrote:
    There's a knack to it. Use to have to use pliers and now i don't. There's a specific way of applying the pressure and then pushing that makes it work every time. If you don't do it right they'll frustrate the hell out of you. Practice doing it quite a few times and you'll finally find the combination that works (no, i can't describe it in words, you either get it eventually or you don't).

^this

putting the chain on small-cog small-ring helps, any tension on the chain makes it harder to undo the link
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Be aware not all "quick links" are multi use. Many are one time only.

Take SRAM they have power links and power locks.
    Kmc likewise have multi and single use "quick links"

Be aware of what you buy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sram Powerlinks are great, easy to use and can be opened/closed as often as you like. Downside is, above 9 speed is the Powerlock, which is once only.
  • Annoying slippy little buggers! There is a knack and I've found some are easier than others, there's a tip re putting it on big ring so you can push down on the bushing I think it's on the Bike Radar Worksop tips.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    This comes up regularly. Undoing quicklinks is a doddle using the following tool-free technique. http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201107050_0.pdf
  • An old spoke bent into a U shape will remove those links which are a bit tough to undo. Feed the straight end through the link on one side of the Quicklink and then bring it back though the link on the other side. Now you squeeze the spoke ends around the Quicklink and this will undo it. Handy when out on the road.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    KMC 10 speed links are a PITA to remove and fit. Never had any problems with their 9 speed links done by hand or the Sram 9 speed for that matter. If undoing the 10 speed quicklink at home I use a pair of waterpump pliers with the jaws placed diagonally across the quick link on the ends of the links without the slot.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I agree with caad8 regarding the Wippermann connex link. They always open without a tool.
    I only use quicklinks to aid removing my chain at home for cleaning and maintenace.
    If I snap a chain out on the road it's time to ring the wife for a lift home. Having said that in 40 years of cycling I've only ever snapped two chains.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    The CTC way is best on the road as it requires no special tools. It can be summarised thus:
    - make a v with the quick link on the big ring
    - hit the point of the v with something