Change from Shimano 9spd to 10spd derailleur

stevekoz
stevekoz Posts: 103
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I've been researching rear mechs for a while as i'm looking to change out my rear mech due to some damage to mine.

I've been given an xt 10 spd mech.

I have found lots of info on mixing and matching sram / shimano. But im having trouble deciphering shimano to shimano.

I have a 9 speed rear cassette, 9 speed triple crank, 9 speed XT front mech and 9spd triple slx shifters. All Shimano.

If i now add a 10 spd Shimano long cage rear mech to this equation would this have any complications? This is all MTB specific kit. Not mixing road/mtb etc. Just MTB shimano to shimano 9spd to 10spd.

Cheers guys and girls.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As it is it will not work as they use different ratios. See the FAQs.

But they are some people playing with spacers to change the wire clamping point to give the same pull ratio as a 9spd mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stevekoz
    stevekoz Posts: 103
    There seems so much conflicting and grey territory online with this its hard to make clear what can go with what.
    Thanks.
    I will just sell the xt 10spd and buy a 9spd, seems easier than playing with spacers etc.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    As Nick said, people are getting good results with a spacer on the cable clamp.

zee-9.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    *AJ* wrote:

Er not quite

nicklouse wrote:
    As it is it will not work as they use different ratios. See the FAQs.

But they are some people playing with spacers to change the wire clamping point to give the same pull ratio as a 9spd mech.

Read this thread to the end.

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12954895
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That thread is the other way around though. This guy wants to use a 10spd mech with 9spd system, most prob as you can't get 9spd clutched mech
  • Chunkers1980
    And that guy really really did not have a clue. How he said it worked a treat when he was only getting 8 sprockets????
  • Chunkers1980
    And personally - I can't see this working perfectly, like the correct setup. But like Northwind says some people are ok with poor shifting - I really am not.
  • cooldad
    That's what I meant. Whatever people say or bodge, it's not worth the hassle for random sh1t shifting.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • *AJ*
    cooldad wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

Er not quite

Meaning what???? :roll:
  • Chunkers1980
    You said good results, Nick neither said that or implied
  • *AJ*
    Apologies, I actually meant

"as Nick said people are using the spacers on the cable clamp... and from what ive seen the results are pretty good"
  • cooldad
    Better
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • And that guy really really did not have a clue. How he said it worked a treat when he was only getting 8 sprockets????

I'm that guy :oops:
    Get a new rear mech and be done with, I pinched my fingers numerous times fiddling around with spacers all night long to get it right after I realized I 8th and 6th cogs where missing, and was sooooo smooth that got me.
  • cooldad
    We all live and learn.
    Now when someone else asks, and they will, regularly, you too can sound like a smug know it all.

Win/win.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools