Carrera Kraken problems YELP!

bonkors
bonkors Posts: 5
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Hi there, New to the forum but I figured i'd rather come to a place of the know than go to my local store to be told it'll cost more than it should. So here are two of my issues with a MTB. First of all this isn't my MTB it is my younger brothers. He got the Carrera Kraken 2013 model for christmas (spoilt git). Rode it non-stop for 3 or 4 days and not much off-roading or trails done with it, mainly on the road to and from school/mates house etc. It was second hand but still rather new and in great condition when bought.

The first issue is the pedal came off when he was riding it to his friends house... (I will upload pictures to show you) and I am unsure as to whether it needs a new crank or whether it just needs a new pedal and the housing part to it or what.

My second issue is both the front and back disc brakes seemed to have been installed and maintained by a complete moron. The bike takes great effort when riding up hill as they are always in contact causing unnecessary friction. So I need to figure out how to align those properly. (again i'll upload some pictures of the disc brakes).

Overall a brilliant bike and we paid £250 for it.

I hope you can help me as to what I need to do to get this young lad back and out on his new mountain bike properly. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your replies.

Regards, B.

Please see below a link to all the different images I uploaded to a random website. Figured it'd be easier for you to browse through them at your own leisure than hold up alot of space within the forum. Thanks again for your time, it is appreciated!

http://postimg.org/gallery/6omzq37y/14db373e/

Comments

• disc brake allingment is really easy ive done it a few times

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... ers-32591/
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It just needs a service but you paid far too much for it.
  • Ok so thanks for the tips on the alignments shigllgetcha!

However RockmonkeySC, I thought it was a rather good bargain they are going for around £500-600 brand new?

Anyways still doesn't solve my pedal problem, do I need to buy a new arm? I'm not sure on the parts but looking at the inside of it, it fits onto the bike yet it doesn't stay on so I'm guessing theres a bolt or something missing inside as it looks like the welding has come off inside as the first couple of pictures show?

But I shall look into taking it somewhere to get a service done on it. Thanks for your time once again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The pedal does not appear to have come odd, but the crank has which is probably fubared. The first pictures show that it is damaged - it was not welded on? but bolted on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    the crank arm came off because the crank bolt either wasn't installed or fell out. You need these to secure it back on:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=10151

If, as cooldad says, the interface has been damaged (which it may well have, as it was used whilst unsecured) then you'll also need to replace the non-driveside crank arm (not the pedal - that's just the bit your foot goes on) you will need to check the length of your existing (will likely be either 170mm or 175mm), and find a replacement that's the same length and has the same square-tapered interface. Check the orientation against yours - some have the square-shaped hole alligned at 45 degrees to the crank arm - yours appears to be square on.
  • cooldad
    Sram are 45 degrees off to Shimano. It's a Sram crank I think.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Absolutely brilliant! Now that's the answers I was looking for. Fantastic thanks for your help! It is indeed an Sram and has Sram stickered all over the crank and the crank arm. Thanks very much for your time issue will be solved asap. Thanks again, Regards. (Y) :D
  • Through a bit more research they are indeed Sram and are 175mm. Sram S600 PowerSpline Series to be exact. So I found a suitable replacement if it is indeed damaged (which I think it is). Found for around £15-20 on Amazon. But i'm going to buy the allen key crank bolts recommended by jimothy78 and see if that sorts the problem. So happy days and you're going to make a young lad very happy by something I guess is very easy to fix.

I just put this information in case someone else has an issue with it. As I'm aware this forum is high on the list of Google for MTB forums etc. I know that's how I found it :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Those aren't powerspline cranks! Powerspline is the name of the type of interface between the bottom bracket (bearing) and the arm of the crank. Your pics show what's called a square taper (because it's square and tapers) but powerspline isn't compatible with that.

If it does turn out that you need to replace parts, it might be worth replacing the entire crank rather than just the one part. If it comes to that, worth checking back in to discuss that! But hopefully the new bolt will sort it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If you're right about 175mm, then this one should do, comes with a free drive-side one to boot ;)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSA-Dyna-Driv ... 33896b7d36
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a spare Truvativ (SRAM) left hand 175mm crank going cheap, not back at home until next Thursday though, PM me if you are interested. (it's black, and I can't see your photo's from where I am due to a firewall issue).

SRAM S600's was specced for 2013 Kraken which is powerspline (according to the SRAM webby), so it sounds like someone has swapped to a cheaper square taper?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    S600 comes in ST and Powerspline according to the internet?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools