Giant Defy 3 2013 Headset

MartinGT
MartinGT Posts: 475
edited January 2014 in Workshop
A friend of mine has a Giant Defy 3 2013. He has used it now for just under a year and have used it in all weathers.

He has said that his headset is feeling rough. I said I would help him give it a service.

I cannot find any information about his headset just incase he needs any spare bearings etc.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    The only info. I can find is this, strip the headset and see if it matches up.

Giant FSA Overdrive 2 (page 79, Cycling Plus issue 284 Feb. 2014, group test bike specification table)

• Fits Overdrive 2 head tubes
    • 1¼" to 1½" diameter.

TOP BEARING 41.8mm x 6mm 45° X 45° MR136 (1 1/4")

LOWER BEARING 47mm x 7mm 45° X 45° MR137 (1 1/2")

Edit

OverDrive 2

FEATURES: Giant’s most advanced fork steerer-tube technology. Oversized headset bearings and a tapered steerer tube combine for unprecedented steering performance with no additional weight. Both road and mountain versions feature massive 1 1/4-inch top and 1 1/2-inch bottom bearings.

BENEFIT: Compared to the already stiff OverDrive system, OverDrive 2 provides up to 30 percent more torsional steering stiffness. This translates into industry-leading steering precision. Whether you’re sprinting for the finish or cornering hard in the most demanding conditions, you can ride with more power and confidence.

OverDrive

FEATURES: Giant’s original oversized fork steerer-tube technology. Designed to provide solid front-end steering performance, the system’s oversized headset bearings and tapered steerer tube provide optimal steering stiffness. Road models feature 1 1/8-inch top and 1 1/4-inch bottom bearings, while the mountain version features 1 1/8-inch top and 1 1/2-inch bottom bearings.

Taken from Giant's website

To OP, please come back and let us know what you find when you have completed the headset service.
  • This is what you need. My headset also only lasted 12 months of commuting
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/321/NO44ECF