£1500-2200 Bike options

swj1
swj1 Posts: 70
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
A friend of mine is looking at buying himself his first road bike and has a max budget of £2200. He wants something that is going to be comfortable as it will be used mainly for sportives/long weekend rides.

This needs to be on the cycle 2 work scheme to no Canyon/Rose etc unfortunately.

I was looking at the Focus Izalco Ergoride but I am open to suggestions :)

I assume for the money you should be getting at Ultegra\Semi decent wheels and sub 8kg?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Isn't cycle to work scheme £1000 max?
    If not look at Planet X RT58 with Ultegra or Ribble Sportive and Dolan Etape options.
  • swj1
    We are lucky and have raised it to £2500 :)

I have not had a good experience with Planet X but I shall look at your other suggestions so thanks for them. If I remember Dolan use Ridley frames?
  • over 2 grand for a first road bike? !

What if he doesn't like cycling in the end?
    Planet X isnt that good a value for money. Off the shelf frames and all that.
  • What if he doesn't like cycling in the end?

Impossible! In any case OP says it's his first road bike, he could already have been cycling for years on a hybrid etc.

For comfort / distance then the usual recommendation is the Trek Domane range.

For £2k you should indeed be looking at a mostly Ultegra groupset, but probably just average wheels.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Giant Defy would be worth a look for something off the shelf. So many options in that price range though. Cannondale Synapse has been getting some good reviews at the top of that price bracket.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Dolan L'Etape witk Ultegra and Kysrium Elites will be under £2k depending on finishing kit. Should come in way way under 8kg.
  • swj1
    The Dolan looks good :)

He has been using a hybrid for about year and now wants to get a road bike.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    swj1 wrote:

I was looking at the Focus Izalco Ergoride but I am open to suggestions :)

ShowOfferImage.asp?frmIDUpload=1115200&frmMarke=Focus&frmModell=Team%20Katusha

€3200 / £2600 if you can figure out a way of getting it from Germany. Owner tells me he has been trying to sell it for ages. Was an unused Katusha team bike and its in pristine condition. Its a size 61 frame mind

Or

ShowOfferImage.asp?frmIDUpload=1113083&frmMarke=Focus&frmModell=Izalco%201.0%20Ergoride

56cm, SRAM Red. Krysium Elites - €1900