HT2 crank fit

gozzy
gozzy Posts: 640
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I've got problems with my gears, triple set up - Ultegra 6603 FD and DA7803 chainset. I'm having to totally unscrew the high limit and it's still not far out enough, which doesn't seem right to me.

It's an awkward spot to photograph, but you can make out the edge of the BB cups, it looks like there's something (it's black and covered in a grease line in the picture) between the BB cup and the (unseen) metal of the cranks .
I'm not sure if this is axle or if HT2 widens between axle and spider. i.e. whether the metal edge of the spider should be flush with the BB cup.
I'm thinking it needs shoving in a little further, however I've nothing to compare it with here. So before I start messing with the cranks I figured I might as well see what anyone else thinks.

Thanks.

gv86.jpg

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    you need to increase the cable tension on the front mech

the thing in the pic looks like the normal spacer for a shimano triple, see item 11...

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 608871.pdf
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gozzy
    Cheers, the spacer is NDS though isn't it? (I can't open techdocs on my phone). I know it'll need more cable tension, just want to make sure it's fitted properly before I faff around more with it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Is the crank pressed fully into the BB? Sometimes HT2 cranks need a bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet when installing. Measure the centreline of the middle chainring to the centreline of the frame seat-tube - it should be 45mm
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In common with other Shimano triples, there should be a spacer on each side. The drive side one usually stays lodged on the spindle and is hard to spot tucked away behind the spider. (Item 11 on the exploded diagram you cannot see on your phone).

I'm sure you have it installed; you'd have a lot of sideways play otherwise, and it wouldn't explain the problem you describe.
  • gozzy
    Aha. That exploded view is just what needed but failed to look at last night, cheers. Yes, I reckon part 11 is what I can see with the grease line on it.

I know I was aware that ht2s need a bit of encouragement sometimes when I fitted it, but with nothing to compare it to I wasn't sure if I'd managed to knock it far enough. The distance looks to be 45mm.

In that case, is it unusual to have the high limit screw entirely undone when fitting a triple? And is there any reason not to just remove it completely?

I've got an old square taper triple with tiagra mech that I set up in 5 minutes, but this one is being a bit of a pain.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've fitted my 105 triple (5603) on 2 different frames with 2 different mechs, a 5603 band on* and a 5703 braze on. Neither required the limit screw all the way out.

* I thought it was a band on, but when taking it off discovered it's a braze-on mounted on a band-on adapter. So I needn't have bought the braze-on mech for the new frame :roll:
  • gozzy
    Seems to be sorted now. H screw near full tight, not full out.

Cheers for words of wisdom.