Shimano wheel loose hub seal/cover?

SaintMark
SaintMark Posts: 68
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hello folks
My Shimano RS80 C24 front wheel has a little plastic disc on each side around the hub, which covers the spoke ends and helps seal the hub a bit. They have come loose and I can't work out how to clip them back in, they won't stay put. They look like they should press in but the clips seem too small to get any purchase where they attach to the hub.

I guess they might be the same on other Shimano road wheels? They seem mostly cosmetic but do keep the dirt out. Anyone got a trick for keeping them in place? I can only think of superglue or chucking them in the bin... but I don't really want to do either of those things if I can help it.

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If they are anything like the ones on my RS10 wheels then yes, they just clip into place. Looking at the exploded diagram on Shimano Tech Docs they do look very similar.

Mine have stayed put for 6 years (I take them off when servicing the hubs, and clip them back on afterwards)

I suggest you take the wheel out of the bike and have a closer look. On the reverse of the dust cap you'll see a series of little tabs. These are what should engage with the hub and keep it in place. Make sure that none of them are bent out of position since that would stop the thing clipping on properly. If one or two are mangled you could cut them off and the rest will still do the job.

As a last resort they should be available as spares. Don't expect them to be cheap though.
  • They are exactly the same as RS10s ad described above, I serviced my RS80 hubs last week & the covers just clip back in - they are very thin & it's a bit fiddly so be careful, I had to roll my thumb around the axle a couple of times to get them seated properly.
  • Thanks, you're right about it being fiddly, I could't get them to stay in, but I'll give it another go.