stumpjumper upper shock bolt

bennyy
bennyy Posts: 141
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have rounded my upper shock bolt slightly, it can be removed ok and nipped up ok, just cannot get the purchase on it to torque it up to spec, therefore after a rough ride it vibrates loose leaving a fair bit of play.

I have tried to find a supplier of a bolt, no luck, and don't fancy shelling out £50 for the full bolt kit, does anyone have any ideas, where I could get one, alternative solutions etc.

the bolt Is a 6mm cap head, m8x36mm long,0.75mm pitch

cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Take it to a bolt shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennyy
    I have phoned a couple earlier on and they said they cannot do them as they don't have the tooling. I have a few more I can call tomorrow.

cheers
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    bennyy wrote:
    the bolt Is a 6mm cap head, m8x36mm long,0.75mm pitch

cheers.

That's a real oddball. Metric ultra fine thread. If you look hard enough you might find an M8 x 35, but 36mm isn't a standard size.
  • bennyy
    Yeah the length doesn't concern me as there is probably 5mm of thread sticking out anyway. Bit of research tells me chainring bolts are m8x0.75, so someone out there can do an m8 with 0.75 pitch.

Craig
  • bennyy
    Found one, m8x40 extra fine 0.75 pitch with button head, not perfect but should do the job just as well, fingers crossed
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I rounded off the upper shock bolt on my FSR too, seems to be made of some sort of cheese!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • bennyy
    did you have to buy the whole new bolt set or did you source one? or is it still in there doing its job? lol
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I bought a whole bolt kit as I think I found the main pivot bolt was damaged too. Great bike but very poor quality bolts. If you can change it for a nice stainless bolt then I would! You could always saw/crop one down if its too long.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • bennyy
    I should I have a stainless bolt of 40mm coming, will probably need trimming down a bit yes