H Plus Son Rims

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,922
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
After a little help.

Now running new Ultegra 6800 and have got some cheapy rs11 wheels for winter. Santa brought me some Dura Ace 9000 hubs and the plan was to get Ugo to build them with H Plus Son Archetype rims and CX-Ray spokes.

Now I know the rims are wider than normal and I want to run 25mm tyres on them. Now this might be silly but here is my question.

On my addict at the minute the chainstay clearance is quite close and also the Dura Ace 9000 front mech I run seems to get close to the tyre when in the big ring (due to the longer leaver arm moving over). Now does the wider rim also mean the tyres become wider? Or will it just be as wide as it is now with 25mm tyres on? I just don't want to get the wheels built up to find they clash with my chainstays or front mech.
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• They will get a bit wider... but 25 mm are only 25 nominally, they can be 24 or 26... it's hard to say... is the clearance so small?
    left the forum March 2023
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    25mm continental gp4000s was too wide/ too close for peace of mind on my scott cr1 hmx with these rims. Dropped to 23mm grand prix's
  • Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    it depends on the tyre but conti gp 4 season measure 27mm and pro 4 endurance measure 28mm - pretty tight on my cr1. lovely ride though...
  • Pryally wrote:
    it depends on the tyre but conti gp 4 season measure 27mm and pro 4 endurance measure 28mm - pretty tight on my cr1. lovely ride though...

Pryally, I've just had some wheels made up with Archetype rims and have been wondering how the rim width will affect GP 4 season tyres. Can I assume the 27mm you quote is the true width of a 28mm tyre on an Archetype or is it a 25mm? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
  • Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    boydster76 wrote:
    Pryally wrote:

Pryally, I've just had some wheels made up with Archetype rims and have been wondering how the rim width will affect GP 4 season tyres. Can I assume the 27mm you quote is the true width of a 28mm tyre on an Archetype or is it a 25mm? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

sorry, missed that bit out. Both 25mm tyres, measured with digital calipers (from memory it was 26.9mm)
  • Pryally wrote:
    sorry, missed that bit out. Both 25mm tyres, measured with digital calipers (from memory it was 26.9mm)

Great, thanks.
  • rozzer32
    I'll get my calipers out tonight and check what the width is now and what clearance I have. But from the eye it's not roomy.

In case I can't run the archetype rim are there any good alternatives? I know I may have to sacrifice the wide rim.
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    In case I can't run the archetype rim are there any good alternatives? I know I may have to sacrifice the wide rim.

That would be a shame... stupid manufacturers! Most rims are going in that direction, including the expensive carbon ones...

How about sticking to 23 mm tyres? They get more volume on a wider rim and effectively ride "bigger"
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Sorry to jump on the back of this thread but can Archetypes be run tubeless?
  • Sorry to jump on the back of this thread but can Archetypes be run tubeless?

Yes... it's not an ideal rim bed design but yes... you need a good conversion kit though
  • Camcycle1974

Yes... it's not an ideal rim bed design but yes... you need a good conversion kit though

Thanks Ugo. Any pointers on which kit to use? No tubes like to work in this case?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    A couple of data points that might help a little...

Addict R3, TB-14s (same width as Archetypes) and 25mm Veloflexes - no problems:

9225328494_3cde439fd4_c.jpg
    Addict by MajorMantra, on Flickr

Addict R3, Archetypes, 9000 and 23mm Michelins, no problems. Front mech and cable are miles from the tyre so I can't see a 25 being a problem:

9733625322_588b749a75_c.jpg
    A new Addiction by MajorMantra, on Flickr

As others have said though, actual tyre sizes vary considerably. I've measure some "25mm" Contis at close to 28mm on standard narrow rims, so caveat emptor. I'm not sure how those tyres would have measured on wider rims.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Forgot to say, these are 52cm frames.
  • Sorry to jump on the back of this thread but can Archetypes be run tubeless?

Thanks Ugo. Any pointers on which kit to use? No tubes like to work in this case?

I suppose it will work, but don't quote me... I have not converted any Archetype myself to run tubeless
  • Camcycle1974

I suppose it will work, but don't quote me... I have not converted any Archetype myself to run tubeless

Ok, thanks. Had a look on Youtube and it looks straightforward using Stan's kit.
  • rozzer32
    Cheers Mantra.

Think there is a guy in the cycling club with Archetype rims so going to see if I can borrow his wheel to put in my frame to make 100% sure.

If worst case scenario and it's too close what other rims should I be looking at. An idea crept into my head of getting some 50mm carbon clinchers with alloy breaking surface purely for bling but they would weigh a ton. So best sticking to shallow rims.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Just to chime in, I run Archetypes with 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa tyres on a CR1 SL frame. Clearance wise I would say 25mm is too wide (unless the tyres run narrow).

That said, 23mm tyres on the Archetypes are absolutely fine for me.