Rotor 3D+ Aero installation / compatibility issues

edten
edten Posts: 228
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I have just received a Rotor 3D+ Aero crankset but are having some issues installing. Bizarrely it seems to have a different spindle length than any 3D+ cranksets I've had before. The spindle appears to be too short (not too long so spacer won't help) for the frames BB width which is just the standard threaded BB type (i.e. shimano hollowtech etc) with a BSA30 bottom bracket installed. The Rotor 3d+ power cranks I have fits fine with this. I also have another frame which has a press fit Rotor 4130 BB, designed to take the 3D+, and it won't install in that either - spindle again too short yet a 3D+ power meter installs fine. Outer distance of the installed BB is the same across both frames.

Does anyone know if there is a version of the 3D+ that is different than the usual version. I can't find anything online suggesting there is. I've taken a picture of the rear of the spider which flares out (see the webbing). I think it is that which is reducing the effective spindle length.

Here's the description of the cranks listed on the website I purchased from
http://www.merlincycles.com/rotor-3d-ae ... 63816.html

Compatable with BB30 and standard threaded frames
130mm BCD for Standard chainrings
Will work BB30 or standard threaded with the correct BSA30 bottom bracket (bottom bracket not included)
170mm, 172.5mm or 165mm cranks

And here's the picture of the webbing to the rear of the spider. You can see this flares out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47245403@N00/11953276493

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Comments

• stu47t
    stu47t Posts: 33
    Hi, I also ordered the Rotor 3D+ Aero chainset from Merlin, at £159 + 10% January sale discount it seemed a bargain for the 165mm length.

I have a standard 68mm english threaded frame and purchased the BSA30 bottom bracket. the BB fitted fine but also found the spindle short.

I'm not sure on the spindle length but I will double check tonight to compare.

The only way I can get the drive side to screw to the spindle is removing the two orange silicone washers, which is not right. Plus the chain rings stick out too far from the frame, with the front derailleur fully extended it wont push the chain on to the big chain ring.

The spider area does stick out somewhat more than normal chainsets I think. I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the inner circle area, maybe this is some kind of spacer that isn't needed.

I'm going to contact Merlin and Rotor but I'm not sure what their tech support is like.
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • stu47t
    stu47t Posts: 33
    Here's the replies from Rotor and Merlin...

Rotor

I’m sorry to say you have bought a crank designed for the OEM market, a product that Merlin should not be selling and as a result has no warranty available from Rotor.

The Axle length is shorter on these OEM cranks as they were designed for specific frames, as such I’m sorry to say there is no way it will be able to fit in a BSA BB.
    The lockring at the spider (which is decreasing the width) cannot be removed as it is holding the crank together

Your best option would be to return the crank to Merlin for a refund.

Merlin

Sorry to hear about the chainset – we have been looking into this for you and unfortunately due to an error on our listing they should be listed as BB Right so unfortunately it will not be compatible. We have attached a returns label for you to print off and return the items free of charge, if you would be able to enclose receipts and a covering letter then our returns department can process this once back.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Probably best you contact them for a refund also.
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    Yes I got the same when I spoke to them. Upon realising what the issue was I ordered the standard 3d+ from them which fits. That one has a wide removable washer rather than the deeper spider so without the washer it will fit standard threaded BBs and Bb86 press fit with the right rotor bb adapters.

Fair play to Merlin who did get an order despatched for the replacement ones super quick.