After a new bike and need some advice.

Joephish
Joephish Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hi, I am new to the forum and am after some advice about which bike/bikes I should be looking at for my next purchase.

I am a student who is after a new bike for year round commuting that will also deal with general leisurely rides and give me a decent basis should I ever want to go cycle touring or get in to road riding. I am aware that I am trying to cover quite a few bases with this one bike but seeing as I don't know a huge amount about bikes I'm hoping there may be something out there for me. I am happy to wait and save up for what would be the best bike for the job and as such don't need to buy anything in the coming weeks. In the research I have done so far it seems like cyclo-cross bikes seem to be a good mix of weight and robustness. I would prefer something with drop handlebars as they feel more comfortable from the couple times I've tried them.

I dont have a huge budget but I think I probably stretch to about £800-£900 max after a lot of saving. I am looking for a good bike that will work week in week out which won't need a huge amount of maintenance. Main journey will be to college and then university later on this year and to work too. I'm not obsessed with it being the fastest bike ever as I'm not that fit myself (working on that though). I'm hoping it will last a good few years and I won't be feeling like a need a sportier model in a few years.

I am currently riding a Cube CLS LTD Pro which is a decent bike however I would like something that would be a bit more of an allrounder and maybe a bit sportier too. I would be selling this when looking at purchasing my next bike so considering this it gives me an effective budget of about £1000.

Bikes that have taken my interest so far:
Specialized Tricross
Planet X Kaffenback 2 Shimano Tiagra Road Bike
Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra Road Bike
Planet X XLS Shimano 105 Cyclocross Bike

Slightly out of budget, but, if it's the best choice then will happily save up the extra:
Specialized Tricross Sport Disc
Cannondale CAADX Disc 6 Tiagra

The Specialized Tricross and Planet X Kaffenback 2 seem to be good shouts for the money.

Any advice or anything I've missed please let me know (or if I'm even in the right ball park).

Cheers and all the best, Joe

Comments

• alex_uk
    alex_uk Posts: 56
    Just some randomish thoughts ...

* Go to your local bike shop and talk this through in person
    * Bikes designed for racing are going to be less comfy for touring
    * Really expensive groupsets (liek ultegra) often are designed for light weight rather than longevity
    * Carbon frame may limit your options to bolt things to it (e.g. mudguards, racks)
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the speedy reply mate. I will eventually have a conversation with somebody in a shop. But I am a way off buying anything new. I was just wondering what others were using for this similar sort of thing. Also what they might recommend to me. Being a bit of a novice I was trying to gather some knowledge together first of all.

Thanks again,

Joe