Self build or not?

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi
OK so its a difficult question to answer.
I can save some serious £s on a self build (I think) I am handy with a toolbox and spanner etc so that doesn't faze me (currently) :o but am i too optimistic. I don't want to have to start buying expensive special tools etc.
Just trying to gauge is it worth it in terms of cost or just leave it to LBS? Will the £200+ saving come back and haunt me.
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    How much do you seriously think you can save self building over a factory bulk suppied bike? I have seen bikes for sale marginally more expensive than the groupset that was fitted cost alone. This is mainly cos you buy one at premium rate or maybe on sale at a small reduction wheras the whole bike can have all its parts bought cheaper in bulk. we are talking in the thousands at a time. if you want to do a project build fine but I rarely hear of any bke being built completely new for cheaoer than can be bought complete. And the higher up the market you go the costs spiral.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I looked at this for my next bike and IMO unless you have the parts knocking around already or are considering second hand then building from new will be way more expensive than buying ready built.
  • Thanks Smoggy - I could well be wrong with this. I simply added required component parts up that are currently and sale - that make up the bike and it was coming to about £200.
    Obviously better in my pocket. I thought anyway.
    I accept all your points re bulk buying etc - maybe I got something seriously wrong with the parts. Didn't think I did just thought the 12% sales reduction was helping across all the components. Else it probably would have been similar or more as you say.
    Thanks again.
  • I've just built up my best bike for summer. Wanted specific wheels, saddle, bars etc so got the frameset from the LBS and the rest from all over the internet to get the best prices. I think it's a better bike than the equivalent fully built model, and it's a bit lighter as well. Building it was fine, all works on the stand, but until the weather bucks up I'm still on the old bike.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    I looked at this for my next bike and IMO unless you have the parts knocking around already or are considering second hand then building from new will be way more expensive than buying ready built.

Thanks I must have got something wrong somewhere. Back to original plan I think. SAfer and easier.

Thanks for your time and advice
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You can still build a bike as you want, sales and ebay and being shrewd but it will take time. you can't just order all the bits at once and put it together over a weekend. If you shop around over a few months you could save enough to make a bike which ultimately would feel more rewarding to you knowing you built it, its just going to take time
  • Bozabyka
    Bozabyka Posts: 252
    What is your budget and what are you planning to build?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I bought a couple of bikes and after that I realised that you're better off buying a frame and doing it yourself.
    At first there maybe certain things that you might not have the confidence to do but you can farm those out to your LBS, you'll do the rest yourself and in time you'll do the lot....... maybe aided by you tube for a while but you'll do it in the end.
    Buy a frame in Sept/Oct and then pick up your components in the sales, you'll end up with the bike that you want and you won't have to change a thing.
    I can't believe that an experienced cyclist would buy a complete bike....... maybe a Canyon because they seem to offer value.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you know what fit you want on the bike then it can definitely work out cheaper. Many people buy a bike, then noodle around getting it to fit and replacing the really budget bits like wheels, so often the real cost is bike+saddle+wheels+tyres+stem for example.

You'll need a few bike-specific tools though, e.g. for bottom bracket and cassette.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It can be a cheaper solution (depending on what you pay for components, getting previous years models etc.) but the real benefit is in getting a bike with exactly what you want on it (down to every detail).

The added benefit is the satisfaction that you built it and that you know what everything does.

Self builds are so much more than a 'potential' cheap solution.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    what makes the cost of a self build creep up is the stuff you didn't realise until mid build - like seat clamp, bartape, cable outers, rim tape, inner tubes, tools, lubes to do jobs etc

it's still great doing a self build tho, you get exactly the spec you want and you know how to maintain it etc and the fun of building - as others have said, it's not super cheap and takes time
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Self build is a great way to become a better bike mechanic and is really satisfying. I've built up both my tourer and my road bike. As others have said, you get exactly the components you want, although the extras like bar tape or cutting cables a bit too short and then having to buy replacements all add to the cost.

Buying this season's frame and components at list price is way more expensive than buying ready made. But big savings can be made by judicious use of sales and discount vouchers as long as you give yourself a bit of time to study the market and accumulate all the bits and bobs.

I saved about £1,500 building up an Orca frame, forks and seatpost bought in a Boxing Day sale. I spent the next couple of months sourcing bargain components on the internet from Ribble, PBK, Total Cycling, Chain Reaction and Merlin. My biggest savings were achieved by buying Campag Record and Chorus 10 speed components which were being sold off cheaply to make way for the next season's 11 speed stuff.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    I built my summer / race bike up over a number of months because I wanted a certain spec. I researched it fully and over that period too I managed to handle the cost a bit better too as I could find out bargains on the net and some LBS too.

I wanted a new winter bike and I ended up getting a factory spec / built one because when adding things up and time I couldnt make it that much cheaper. I think I would have saved £100 and given the warrenty and time etc, it wasnt worth it.

I think if you have time, certainly think about it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MartinGT wrote:
    I built my summer / race bike up over a number of months because I wanted a certain spec. I researched it fully and over that period too I managed to handle the cost a bit better too as I could find out bargains on the net and some LBS too.

I wanted a new winter bike and I ended up getting a factory spec / built one because when adding things up and time I couldnt make it that much cheaper. I think I would have saved £100 and given the warrenty and time etc, it wasnt worth it.

Depends. If you aren't already mostly self sufficient in bike maintenance terms, then doing a self build could save you a fortune in the long term even if it costs more in the short term.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MartinGT
    Rolf F wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:

Depends. If you aren't already mostly self sufficient in bike maintenance terms, then doing a self build could save you a fortune in the long term even if it costs more in the short term.

Aye, I did mean really taking the time to hunt for bargains. Sales etc.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My first bike I bought from a good bike shop so I got to choose every component and was properly fitted.

Last year I saw Westbrooks selling off the CR1-SL frame / forks cheaply so I bought one and built it up with a combination of second hand (groupset) and new bargains (everything else except the saddle, which I already had) Came in at roughly £800 all in, which I think is a bargain.

Doubt I'd ever buy an off the peg bike and then start replacing components immediately unless it was insanely cheap to start with.
  • I'm building up a winter/commuting bike at the moment. The main reason was that the spec I wanted wasn't available as a pre-built bike, however I also wanted the satisfaction of doing it myself.

I've still got a few things to pick up (tyres, tape, headset) but I'm pretty much ready to start building. I have bought from my LBS (frameset at 15% off list), from people on here, through eBay and via a couple of online retailers. I'm going to end up spending the same as I would have spent buying the top-spec pre-built bike, however I'll have full Ultegra rather than 105, considerably better wheels and Ritchey finishing kit rather than own-brand.

My tip would be to set up a spreadsheet, list every single component/item you'll need (and I mean everything - barrel adjusters, clamps, bolts, whatever), the exact spec you want and then seriously shop around. Just don't rush into anything. Also, work out the tools you'll need! This could be another hidden cost.
  • MartinGT
    boydster76 wrote:
    I'm building up a winter/commuting bike at the moment. The main reason was that the spec I wanted wasn't available as a pre-built bike, however I also wanted the satisfaction of doing it myself.

I've still got a few things to pick up (tyres, tape, headset) but I'm pretty much ready to start building. I have bought from my LBS (frameset at 15% off list), from people on here, through eBay and via a couple of online retailers. I'm going to end up spending the same as I would have spent buying the top-spec pre-built bike, however I'll have full Ultegra rather than 105, considerably better wheels and Ritchey finishing kit rather than own-brand.

My tip would be to set up a spreadsheet, list every single component/item you'll need (and I mean everything - barrel adjusters, clamps, bolts, whatever), the exact spec you want and then seriously shop around. Just don't rush into anything. Also, work out the tools you'll need! This could be another hidden cost.

Thats what I did, the spreadsheet really helped for organising my budget.
  • Thanks for all your advice and taking time out to respond.
    What did we do without www - hours and hours in a library I guess.
    Anyway your advice has been a big help and my decision to do a full self build is on hold. Whilst i think i could do it i heed all your advice/experiences, i think i will practice more on an older bike first, ie maybe upgrade parts etc .
    At least then i can buy the complete bike i want and enjoy it this spring/summer without fear of making a mess of it and still up-skill myself without incurring too much unnecessary expense.
    thank you all again, i do like this forum its very informative. And spreadsheets are great so like that idea i use them for everything.
    thanks guys for all your advice
  • MartinGT wrote:
    boydster76 wrote:

Thats what I did, the spreadsheet really helped for organising my budget.

:D great idea - me likes that.
    thanks
  • Not a back way to start - that was (unintentionally I guess) how I built up my experience/confidence. I started by upgrading a few components here and there along with doing my own maintenance - all the time building up my knowledge.

Before you know it you'll be thinking about that self build again!
  • Yeah me thinks so - no point wasting a lot of money to see a pile of expensive parts in a box that cannot be ridden. I have an old MTB that is showing signs of wear and tear so I could source parts for that. Hopefully.
    I have a very good manual and some tools too. So it is a start. And as you say build from scratch at a later date with more confidence and experience.
  • matig0l
    matig0l Posts: 37
    I'm currently doing a self build for the first time. Building myself a De Rosa Milanino. Factory build is £1700. I've got better components throughout and 2nd hand frame for just under £1500. Spent about £200 on tools/stand in total.

Can't put a price on the knowledge gained and the satisfaction from riding your own build. Plus, I have every tool I ever need to completely maintain the bike myself.

I've really enjoyed it so far.

http://www.milanino.me.uk
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I built my winter bike myself and have built a couple of bikes for others and found it therapeutic and easy. If you want a specific frame and build, it's the way to go. There are plenty of internet shops/suppliers out there offering new parts at a fraction of what a LBS can supply them. I managed to obtain a genuine new 2013 full SRAM Rival groupset for one friend's bike at a fraction of the cost from the LBS so it can be done.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I built my winter bike myself and have built a couple of bikes for others and found it therapeutic and easy. If you want a specific frame and build, it's the way to go. There are plenty of internet shops/suppliers out there offering new parts at a fraction of what a LBS can supply them. I managed to obtain a genuine new 2013 full SRAM Rival groupset for one friend's bike at a fraction of the cost from the LBS so it can be done.

I agree and there is a real sense of achievement gained, both with the finished article, and through the bargain hunting process. One small example from yesterday - Cane Creek 40 headset - LBS price was £45.00, CRC was £40 and Merlin Cycles was £30.
  • matig0l wrote:
    I'm currently doing a self build for the first time. Building myself a De Rosa Milanino. Factory build is £1700. I've got better components throughout and 2nd hand frame for just under £1500. Spent about £200 on tools/stand in total.

Can't put a price on the knowledge gained and the satisfaction from riding your own build.]

Thanks for the advice. Had a very quick look at your blog, looks very interesting and going to give it more of a read. :) Like the way you listed the parts and then went in to detail about them.

Totally agree re the knowledge and satisfaction but think I am just going to take my time, which appears to be best advice so far rather than rush just to save a few £s and make complete pigs ear of it.

Whats the advice on second hand frames anything to look out for or be aware of? :?:
  • boydster76 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

I agree and there is a real sense of achievement gained, both with the finished article, and through the bargain hunting process. One small example from yesterday - Cane Creek 40 headset - LBS price was £45.00, CRC was £40 and Merlin Cycles was £30.

Yes I think I need to take time - source parts properly as clearly there are deals/offers to be had. Its all about timing as they say.
  • Was going to start a new thread, but this seems to be pretty much along the same lines as what I was going to ask....

I have recently been looking at a new bike as a new commuter / winter bike for next winter (ridiculous I know), which will take proper mudguards, but still ride pretty well. My current ‘winter bike’ and commuter is a Boardman Comp that I got in 2010 – it’s served me well, but is a real faff to get the mudguards to stay on without rubbing or falling off, and it's taken a fair amount of punishment. I’m riding a lot more with a club these days so a better bike for the conditions we get quite a lot of up here seems sensible! Probably shouldn't be looking properly till September anyway (getting married in May), but have now thought about potentially building a bike up over the Summer. I’m a pretty shit mechanic, but would be a good way to get better. Then would have the mechanic guy I know check it over before I ride it!

I just wonder if this is worth it? I don't have a lot of space other than the bike store in my block which is fine for minor repairs and adjustments but probably not extensive stuff. I have some tools but no proper workstand.

In terms of 'off the peg' bikes, I've been looking at the Dolan Dual, Kenesis T2 or TK3, or maybe one of the Ribble's that takes mudguards. They're around £1100 max,
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    boydster76 wrote:
    My tip would be to set up a spreadsheet, list every single component/item you'll need (and I mean everything - barrel adjusters, clamps, bolts, whatever), the exact spec you want and then seriously shop around.
    :D great idea - me likes that. thanks

Spreadsheet - wow how to take the fun out of building a bike :?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    boydster76 wrote:
    My tip would be to set up a spreadsheet, list every single component/item you'll need (and I mean everything - barrel adjusters, clamps, bolts, whatever), the exact spec you want and then seriously shop around.
    :D great idea - me likes that. thanks

Spreadsheet - wow how to take the fun out of building a bike :?

Running out of money half way through your build because you haven't kept track of your spending - that's how to take the fun out of building a bike!