Frameset & Steerer

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi
apologies if this seems a basic question. I am looking into a potential self build to save some serious £s (depends how scared I get) ! :? I am handy with a spanner etc hence the idea.
Anyway the question I have is does a frame set (the one I looking at has the forks if that helps) have the 'steerer' included? And if so do I need to cut it? Or is this the streerer something else I need to purchase. Just reading some horror stories about cutting which is putting me off a little.
I just assumed (maybe wrongly) that the frameset I attached the headset, stem and bars etc or am i missing something obvious?
Any advice very much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The steerer tube is part of the fork, so yes it is included in a 'frameset'. You'll need to cut it once you've decided on where you want your stem to go.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Frameset should be frame and fork, the steerer is the top part of the fork that goes through the head tube and the stem attaches to it. On a new one the steerer will be uncut and you would need to install it and find what fits you i.e how many spacers you need that's when you would cut it. If its a second hand it will almost defo have been cut to fit previous owner then you are tied to same height as them or shorter. Sheldon Brown or Park Tools Maintenance are good sites for this type of info and Park Tools is great for help with all things mechanical.

If you don't mind me saying if you don't know what a steerer is are you sure you are ready to take on a bike build from scratch?
  • DesWeller wrote:
    The steerer tube is part of the fork, so yes it is included in a 'frameset'. You'll need to cut it once you've decided on where you want your stem to go.

Thanks for your advice
  • Frameset should be frame and fork, the steerer is the top part of the fork that goes through the head tube and the stem attaches to it.

If you don't mind me saying if you don't know what a steerer is are you sure you are ready to take on a bike build from scratch?

No problem not offended - better to ask a daft question in my mind. I was just reading other articles whilst doing research and it was written in such a way that it was a separate component that I had to purchase. If that makes sense :?: I didnt think it was but hey you never know these days.

Not saying I am the Hoy or Boardman of the bike building world hence my question I suppose. And just trying to gauge to a really want the hassle, But also the experience of it being my build I suppose. As I said ( I think) more than competent with spanners and mechanics etc so was considering this as an option.

You could indeed be right I may not be ready for this hence consulted you much wiser people in here. Thanks
  • All for giving it a go and I wouldn't want to discourage you as it would be very satisfying, there are loads of good sourc of advice and you can always post on here if you need help. I've been fixing my own bike for last five years or so and have built up enough knowledge to be confident to do it now but I started pretty inept so maybe I'm just too cautious as you are already handy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I built up a bike from a carbon frameset last year, having never done one before. Pretty simple if you just take your time and work logically. Mine was made simpler because the press fit Shimano BB was already installed, and the frameset included the headset. The only slightly nervous moments came when pressing the headset cups in to the head-tube using a Heath-Robinson assembly of nuts / washers / threaded rod, and when cutting the carbon steerer down to size.

Actually it involved 3 bike builds. First I transferred everything from my alu bike to the new carbon one. Then I bought some new and second hand kit for the carbon bike, installed that and rebuilt the alu bike with the original stuff. All good fun!
  • Thanks for all your advice and taking time out to respond.
    What did we do without www - hours and hours in a library I guess.
    Anyway your advice has been a big help and my decision to self build is on hold. Whilst i think i could do it i heed all your advice/experiences, i think i will practice more on an older bike first, ie maybe upgrade parts etc .
    At least then i can buy the complete bike i want and enjoy it this spring/summer without fear of making a mess of it and still up-skill myself without incurring too much unnecessary expense.
    thank you all again, i do like this forum its very informative.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I do hope we haven't put you off the idea. Bikes are pretty simple things really if you have a few basic tools, and the www is a splendid source of advice, how to's and YouTube videos.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Well I do hope we haven't put you off the idea. Bikes are pretty simple things really if you have a few basic tools, and the www is a splendid source of advice, how to's and YouTube videos.

Absolutely not. :D
    I have an engineering/logical mindset so more determined than ever just going to plan it properly. And maybe still enjoy a new bike too, albeit ready built 8) at a bit more cost but rideable sooner rather than later :D .
  • Thanks for all your advice and taking time out to respond.
    What did we do without www - hours and hours in a library I guess.
    Anyway your advice has been a big help and my decision to self build is on hold. Whilst i think i could do it i heed all your advice/experiences, i think i will practice more on an older bike first, ie maybe upgrade parts etc .
    At least then i can buy the complete bike i want and enjoy it this spring/summer without fear of making a mess of it and still up-skill myself without incurring too much unnecessary expense.
    thank you all again, i do like this forum its very informative.

That's pretty much what I did; made my mistakes and learned maintenance skills on a cheapo hybrid before I got and maintain an expensive (by my standards!) £1k road bike. Glad I did it that way as I made some mistakes that did cost money! Also only reason I managed to learn was cause of this forum - great resource and some really helpful people especially on Workshop and Road Buying IME.
  • As they say always better safe than sorry, and yes agree £1k is a lot and is roughly my budget too.