Frame Swap - Possible?

Dizeee
Dizeee Posts: 337
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I have a 2012 Bianchi Impulso ally bike with Shimano 105, Fulcrum 7 Wheels and FSA this and that.

I want to change the frame as it is causing me back niggles and having gone Carbon in Summer I just have gone off ally. I think I want steel.

The question is can I simply buy a frame, then take the bike and frame to a shop and get them to transfer everything across, or do I need to buy a compatible frame for the Impulso? If so what frames am I limited to?

Thanks

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Could have an issue with the bottom bracket but the rest should transfer fine.

Before you go about doing such extreme things, have you considered a bike fit? if you are not right with seat height cleat setup stem length or lots of other things your back pain could still happen on any bike.
  • Dizeee
    I had one done at my local independent, no lasers but measurements and observation. It helped but they deduced the bike is slightly too large. I have done 3000 miles on it, and got away with it but I know how u should feel thanks to my de Rosa
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    So you mean to say your frame is too big and you are therefore over reaching? Bit of a different thing than the frame material. Have you had any bits changed on it? shorter stem? more forward reaching seat post? most comfortable saddle? Even shorter crank arms could help.
  • Dizeee
    I had the bars twisted up, my seat boguth forward and got an optimal position on the bike. Stem is already short. As I say it is ok but after 40 miles I am having issues in my coccyx repeatedly, which means the rest of the ride becomes frustrating and I have to keep standing up and swinging forward to recover.

There are other reasons I want a new frame too though such as my current one having been crashed along the road and possibly compromised.
  • I changed my bike frame (or the LBS did!) and it's very much possible. If you are doing it yourself there would be a steep learning curve, but again, very doable with the right tools.

Good a time as any to try a different frame type, steel is as good as any.
  • Dizeee
    Is it noticeablly heavier than ally? I find the climbs most noticeable on the ally over the Carbon. Don't mind doing the extra work for training purposes, but wouldn't want to make it even harder.
  • Dizeee wrote:
    Is it noticeablly heavier than ally? I find the climbs most noticeable on the ally over the Carbon. Don't mind doing the extra work for training purposes, but wouldn't want to make it even harder.

No idea; I'd assumed since you were thinking of steel you'd already researched this part ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Swapping stuff onto a new frame is pretty easy. Bars / shifters / stem you can leave in one piece. Just check the new frame has the same size / type of BB and takes the same seatpost diameter. Check also which headset you need if the new frameset doesn't include it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dizeee wrote:

If you don't like the extra weight of the alu bike vs the carbon one, don't go buying a steel frame!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    keef66 wrote:
    Swapping stuff onto a new frame is pretty easy. Bars / shifters / stem you can leave in one piece. Just check the new frame has the same size / type of BB and takes the same seatpost diameter. Check also which headset you need if the new frameset doesn't include it.

There are adapters out there if the BB is different.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.