Chiltern 100 - Human Race

speshsteve
speshsteve Posts: 352
Just got an email saying that Human Race have taken over the chiltern 100 this year due to run on the 1st June. Can't help thinking that although Human Race are a very well organised, well run events company I wonder what will happen to entry costs as HR tend to operate at the very top end of price! In years past it also felt like you were supporting a local bike club as opposed to a larger events company....not sure how I feel about that.
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2
Giant TCX
Canyon Grandcanyon 29er

Comments

• My thoughts exactly. Entry fees have been around £20 for Grand Fondo over the last few years for this event. The food stations were stocked with energy gels and bars amongst other items. I expect the entry fee to be a lot more this year given the announcement. Will find out in a few weeks.
  • looking at their non closed road events they seem to be in the region of 43 quid....
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • What a shame, we used to organise this event in conjuction with Eddie at Verulam CC. It was no-profit with a reasonable donation to charity and it was good value for money. Nobody took a penny and it was organised on a voluntary basis

Now it's going to be turned into a profit making machine... oh well, screw them, I wasn't going to do it anyway... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its a joke isn't it, paying £43 to ride on public roads? The sportive market has gone mad the last few years. I'll continue to do maybe one or two a year but there has to be some special incentive these days.
  • Yep... it's gone up to £ 39, which is a lot of money for an event on open roads and significant traffic.
    Just for reference... we used to run this event at 15 and then 20 pounds and there was enough for 2 feeding zones well stocked and there was a reasonable amount of money given to charity.
    I will certainly boycott this event and I suggest people do the same. I hope Human Race go bust :evil:
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    I will certainly boycott this event and I suggest people do the same. I hope Human Race go bust :evil:

A bit harsh.
  • London-Red wrote:

A bit harsh.

Not really... they take an event which has been organised successfully over many years and take advantage of others' work for turning a big profit.
    If they created it from scratch it would be different, but their input = zero, even the website is pretty much unchanged.
    In my books all these sportive organising enterprises are only parasites that exploit others' passion (those who worked for many years to create such a successful event) to make a profit
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    London-Red wrote:

A bit harsh.

Not really... they take an event which has been organised successfully over many years and take advantage of others' work for turning a big profit.
    If they created it from scratch it would be different, but their input = zero, even the website is pretty much unchanged.
    In my books all these sportive organising enterprises are only parasites that exploit others' passion (those who worked for many years to create such a successful event) to make a profit

Welcome to capitalism :)

For the record, I did the Chiltern a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty good; although we were being rationed for water towards the end :shock:
  • London-Red wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

A bit harsh.

Welcome to capitalism :)

For the record, I did the Chiltern a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty good; although we were being rationed for water towards the end :shock:

It was a good event, quite tough and with some good views and climbs... I wouldn't put it in any top ten must do event
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Come and Audax instead. Much cheaper and as a big plus no one is handing out gels!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It is a ridiculously inflated price.

How did they (HR) get to take over the organisation of this event?

presumably the existing organisers sub-contrcated it out to them?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I'm probably going to get shot down for saying this, however just plot the route into your Garmin (or whatever) and head out around the course on the day. Why pay so much cash to a profit making company to ride on open public roads that are free the other 364 days of the year?

Some rules I adhere to if doing this: never use the rest stops (I am capable of carrying the food and drink I need anyway) and find somewhere public to park i.e. not the car park of the event. Oh, and I would never do this if it was a club run/not for profit event and the entry fee was simply set to cover the running of the day.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    It is a ridiculously inflated price.

How did they (HR) get to take over the organisation of this event?

presumably the existing organisers sub-contrcated it out to them?

It did require a significant effort from the two clubs, in terms of volunteering and it was not easy... once my former club left the organisation, the other club probably struggled to fill the gaps.
    The problem with sportives is that they require a lot of people on the ground, while Audaxes don't ... it's just the different legislation and way of operating.
    I can see why a commercial operator needs to charge twice for the same event, in order to turn a profit, I am just not happy about it... but it is an inevitable transition, especially in the south of England, where the traffic is heavier and more staff is required.