Anthem / Trance / Neither

matt748
matt748 Posts: 194
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Some advice please:
After having my bike stolen, my insurers have agreed to pay out, but I have to go through 'wheelies' shop.
Stolen bike: Trek EX8, 2009.
Wheelies recommend replacing with a 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 '2'.
I realise it's kind of similar to what I had, but I'm wondering for where I ride (Swinley, Afan) I could go with an Anthem 27.5 '2'. 2 things are worrying me about the Anthem: I weigh 93KG without kit, and in 18 months will be riding mostly in the Peak District. Is the Anthem a sensible purchase for my weight / riding?
Is there anything else at the £1800-£1900 you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance. :)

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
My Pics

Comments

• If you're going to be riding the Peaks area, I would want the Trance. An Anthem will handle it, and climb better, but you will have a bit less travel and a steeper geometry etc for the descents. A Trance climbs really well anyway (the Maestro rocker link is superb) and will be more fun overall. Its an excellent all round bike. The Anthem is brilliant too, but sways more towards the XC and race scene.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a 26" Trance and a 26" Anthem and for what you are doing I would suggest the Anthem. Im the same weight as you and its no problem at all.
    The Anthem rides more like a fast trail bike than an xc race bike. It's perfect on long distance, all day rides.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I had a 26" Trance and a 26" Anthem and for what you are doing I would suggest the Anthem. Im the same weight as you and its no problem at all.
    The Anthem rides more like a fast trail bike than an xc race bike. It's perfect on long distance, all day rides.

As you have direct experience of both, and to flesh out you answer a little, what sways you to the Anthem as opposed to the Trance, what counts against the Trance in this case in your opinion?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    YellaBelly wrote:
    If you're going to be riding the Peaks area, I would want the Trance. An Anthem will handle it, and climb better, but you will have a bit less travel and a steeper geometry etc for the descents. A Trance climbs really well anyway (the Maestro rocker link is superb) and will be more fun overall. Its an excellent all round bike. The Anthem is brilliant too, but sways more towards the XC and race scene.

would be my choice too for same reasons, although not ridden the 27.5 version.
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Trance for the peak district
  • rockmonkeysc

As you have direct experience of both, and to flesh out you answer a little, what sways you to the Anthem as opposed to the Trance, what counts against the Trance in this case in your opinion?

The latest models are different to the ones I had but there wasn't a huge difference between the Anthem and Trance but the Anthem is lighter and faster and still very capable on technical trails
  • flatpat
    flatpat Posts: 78
    I have a 26" Anthem, think it's great, and am a similar weight to you - so no problem from that perspective. Have also ridden the 29" Anthem a couple of times and it's even nicer - qualities I'd guess would extend to the 650b version.

However, if I was going to be doing techy (for me) Peaks stuff like Cavedale regularly, I think I'd go for the bigger travel Trance.

My Anthem came from an insurance claim - I ended up taking the money and going to a web shop (Pedalon but there are plenty of others) which was a better deal than getting it from Wheelies. Also check whether Wheelies really have your chosen bike in stock, otherwise you could be waiting some time.
  • flatpat
    flatpat Posts: 78
    (the better deal was on a last year's model)
  • rockmonkeysc
    If I can get a third bike next year it will definitely be a Anthem X 29
  • I have a Trance 29er.

More relaxed than the anthem, it is simply a fantastic bike I expected it to be a bit lacking when climbing but I was wrong. It climbs fantastically, rolls well, jumps well and takes the rocky decents with no problems.

I just find it extremely fun and playful!
  • lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132
    What about one of these??? i(im only asking as i am interested in one myself,spearfish or horsethief but i am also considering the two giants you mention and so im interested in the opinion of others) :lol::lol:
    http://www.billys.co.uk/
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    i had my camber stolen in 2012 and got the trance x3 from wheelies and just upgraded the forks to fox float fit 140mm and i find it ok for all day XC riding and having the knowledge that i have the extra travel if needed.

i have never ridden a Anthem so cant comment
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)