Cheers

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Whichever fit you the best.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    I would say these:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/diadora-jet-racer-road-shoes-2013/rp-prod87134
    WHI.jpg

3% cashback through quidco gets it to within a whisker of £100.

Free returns at CRC, so order 2 or 3 sizes, decide at your leisure if the fit and shape suits you, and send back what doesn't suit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I've got these and they're incredible for the price:
    Giro Apeckx
    giro_apeckx_p.jpg
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Giro-Apeckx-Road-Shoes-2012
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    I'd be tempted by the Bont Riots;some places have them for £90.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    oldbazza wrote:
    I'd be tempted by the Bont Riots;some places have them for £90.

A very good shoe by all accounts,very stiff for the money,unfortunatly they didn't like my feet so I had to get Speicalized which were a lot more money.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    DiscoBoy wrote:

This is the only useful bit of advice here.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jordan_217 wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

How do you know what fits you best without seeing what there is on offer and trying them on?

Are you saying that there are no utterly rubbish shoes out there?
    Would you suggest he bought those if they fitted him best? :roll:

Kind of assume the OP will consider fit when he tries some on he likes.
  • Anonymous
    Got my wife some carbon road shoes on CRC for well under £100. It was a bit of a faff but really pleased with end result.

Louis Garneau LS-100 Road Shoes are on offer for £80 if you want to try some in a shop.
    Boa closure and £20 left to go towards pedals.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... s-ec046264

Don't forget to check they actually fit pretty well though :wink:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Carbonator wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

How do you know what fits you best without seeing what there is on offer and trying them on?

Are you saying that there are no utterly rubbish shoes out there?
    Would you suggest he bought those if they fitted him best? :roll:

Kind of assume the OP will consider fit when he tries some on he likes.

You could fundamentally just post a link to the 'best' shoes that each manufacturer produces, or those that are in the quoted price point. However, like saddles, shoes are a very personal thing and what's good for one, may or may not be good enough for someone else.

Fit and comfort should be paramount in the decision making process where shoes are concerned, IMO. Actually liking the look of the things would be a second. Then I'd start thinking about finding out about their features, durability, etc, etc.

Not many shoes are going to be crap at that price point and most shoes will be spec'd appropriately to their retail price, so there won't actually be that much in it when comparing features on shoes from the various manufacturers - carbon soles (or inserts), ratchet closures, etc. So at that point you'd hope that it would be the fit and aesthetics that are the deal breakers.

So perhaps a better way of doing this. OP go and try as many shoes as you can (that you like the look of and that fit), make a list and then come on here and ask about peoples experiences. Or, just order everything you like on Wiggle and make use of the free Collect+ service. :)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Daniel B wrote:
    I would say these:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/diadora-jet-racer-road-shoes-2013/rp-prod87134
    WHI.jpg

Free returns at CRC, so order 2 or 3 sizes, decide at your leisure if the fit and shape suits you, and send back what doesn't suit.

Just ordered these. Massive saving of £185(64%). With free returns if they don't fit well
  • Anonymous
    Mullet52 wrote:
    Just ordered these. Massive saving of £185(64%). With free returns if they don't fit well

Exactly what my wife did and pretty much the best route if you want cheap but high spec shoes.
    They do of course have to be a good fit. Wife had to send back for a different size but seems happy with the new ones.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Mullet52 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    WHI.jpg

I had some Diadora shoes, they were really tight on my feet to the point I couldn't wear them even with the insoles removed to make more room. Sizing is weird on them, Got a same size set of North Wave and they fit me perfect. Also the Diadora were quite high on my ankle and were uncomfortable on the inside of my foot on the ankle bone.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Planet X are currently selling the Fizik R3 for £100. Near enough the same as the top of the line R1 as used by Dave Millar.
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Bike-discount.de have the Fizik R1 for £103 + £6 delivery.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • styxd
    Markjaspi wrote:
    Bike-discount.de have the Fizik R1 for £103 + £6 delivery.

Yes, though potentially more of a ballache if you need to order several different sized pairs and return those that don't fit.

The only real difference between those and the R3s is the Sidas insole.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    wilo13 wrote:
    Just be warned, although they are great looking and very well made shoes, the Fizik have a high arch shape, which didn't agree with my very flat feet. So if you have Hobbit feet like me, stay a way from Fizik. It's a shame more manufacturers don't over wide fit shoes like Sidi and Shimano.

I have a combo of wide feet and high arches - would the Fiziks fit me?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • styxd
    SecretSam wrote:
    wilo13 wrote:
    Just be warned, although they are great looking and very well made shoes, the Fizik have a high arch shape, which didn't agree with my very flat feet. So if you have Hobbit feet like me, stay a way from Fizik. It's a shame more manufacturers don't over wide fit shoes like Sidi and Shimano.

I have a combo of wide feet and high arches - would the Fiziks fit me?

Possibly, I wouldnt say they're massively wide. Similar to other Italian shoes really. The high arch support is geat though.
  • daniel_b
    Mullet52 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Good work, hope you like them - it will go down to how you find the fit of course, did you order more than one size?
    I am a UK size 10, and 45's fit me perfectly, but I also have a pair of 45.5's for winter use with thicker socks.

The 45's are a little tight feeling to start, width wise level with the ball of the foot, but the shoes do stretch with time, so my oldest pair are now like a pair of slippers!
    I like them so much I ended up buying 3 more pairs!

My brother has a pair of slightly lower grade shoes than these ones, is a UK9 and found the 43.5 was perfect, I ordered him a 43, 43.5 and 44.

Let us know how you get on :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I'm a size 9 - 9.5UK

Ordered a 44 and theyre too small. So Ive just ordered them in a 45, which were £10 cheaper. Weird. So I've saved £195.

The shoes look and feel quality. Far superior to the stuff Evans have in at around £100. Hope the 45 fits ok
  • daniel_b
    I hope the 45's are ok for you too.

I just succumbed and ordered a pair of black and yellow ones in 45 - the additional 10% discount at the mo brings them down again - which is why yours were cheaper as well.

I have a pair of these in 45:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/diadora-speedracer-2-magnum-road-shoes-2013/rp-prod69090

But if prefer the other ones I may well send them back - £50 difference, but a carbon sole.

EDIT Just found a £10 off over a £75 spend voucher, should have expired, but still worked.
    After quidco they are a stupendous deal now at a shade over £80!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Got the 45's. Fine around the foot but get quite a bit of heel slip when walking :(

Ah well, with free returns I'll just keep trying different shoes
  • daniel_b
    Mullet52 wrote:
    Got the 45's. Fine around the foot but get quite a bit of heel slip when walking :(

Ah well, with free returns I'll just keep trying different shoes

Boo, sorry to hear that :-( Still no worse off, and you know that the only likely size to fit might be a 44.5 should another deal come up.
    Expecting my 45's to arrive tomorrow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just returned a pair of 43s. I am 8 / 8.5 with v. wide feet and was attracted by the idea that these might be a wide fit - but still went up a size as that was the consensus.
    Well they aren't narrow - but they aren't very wide either. The 43 was just about right across my forefoot but they were too long so heel was coming out way too easily.
    A 42.5 *might* be OK - but would be v tight across forefoot and might even still have some heel slippage. Not sure they are the right shape for me.
    Going to try Northwave or Sidi Mega.
  • Well I did the best thing I could have done. Went to my LBS 'Racescene' in Barnsley. Spent 15 min trying different shoes on and got some that fit me perfect. Mavic Avenge
  • Just got some SiDI Genius 5 Pro Mega from Winstanley's for £100 and they are incredibly comfortable.
    Warning though - they are for VERY wide feet - if you just have wider than average feet they will probably be too wide.
    They are so wide that I went down to 41.5 to get the length right, and 42 has always been the absolute smallest size I could go even in wide-fitting shoes - more frequently bought 42.5 and 43.