Experience of Wilier bikes

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I am on the hunt for a new best bike and thought i had narrowed my choice down to a Canyon SLX or a Cannondale Super Six.

However i was in my LBS on Saturday and saw a selection of Wilier bikes and fell in love with the Triestina Cento. I had never considered these before but this bike looks beautiful and seems to come with decent kit.

After a bit of research the reviews seem great so i wanted to see what peoples views on the brand and the bikes they make.

It might be me being a bit ignorant but i dont see them as a "popular" brand in the same mould as Canyon or Cannondale so that does put me off a bit
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• I bought my Wilier in Sept 2012, and I love it.
    The fact it is a bit of a rarity was alot of the attraction, I can count on 1 hand how many others I have seen in 8000 miles and 15 months.
    People will now tell you how it has little Italian heritage and should have Campag on it.....etc.
    If it fits and you like the colour get one.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    It might be me being a bit ignorant but i dont see them as a "popular" brand in the same mould as Canyon or Cannondale so that does put me off a bit

You should really get a Giant, Trek or Specialized then if you like popular brands.
  • Is it an original Cento Uno which was discontinued in 2012 or a new Cento Uno SR or Air? The former is a classic and there are few owners on here who adore them (myself included). I'm not a fan of the new bike, I find it too angular and the graphics are a bit odd, but it's meant to be a decent bike! Wilier are a quality manufacturer with more history than most out there. See the latest Cyclist for more details...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a 2009 or 2010 Cento Uno with super record. It has been a real pain in the ass to get the gears working as intended but I was able to overlook this and enjoy what I think is a great looking bike and, even more so, a bike with fantastic balance for me. Now that the gears are sorted, it's gone up higher in my estimation. I'm building another bike at the moment but really asking myself why (other than long term aspiration to have a C59). Hope I'm not to disappointed with the new bike when built up.

Peter
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    I have a 2013 Gran Turismo and absolutely love it. Just got back from 10 days riding in Alicante on it and it's been brilliant.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Is it an original Cento Uno which was discontinued in 2012 or a new Cento Uno SR or Air? The former is a classic and there are few owners on here who adore them (myself included). I'm not a fan of the new bike, I find it too angular and the graphics are a bit odd, but it's meant to be a decent bike! Wilier are a quality manufacturer with more history than most out there. See the latest Cyclist for more details...

I think it was the Cento Uno SR. In terms of looks it really does it for me and i think its worth me adding them to the mix.

Part of me would really like something that hardly anybody else has !!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I have a Cannondale SuperSix but a Wilier is still my dream bike. Nothing scientific there, they are just stunning bikes. The rarity adds to the appeal aswell I think.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I've got a Mortirolo (no longer made by Wilier). I love it. From the day I first saw some Wiliers I knew I had to get one...
    I'd like to get another one before too long. I see a few around but not many.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Just seen this one on fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilier-Cento- ... 3389d19700

It is near identical to my xl cento uno and, if the story about usage is correct it could make for a brilliant bike. Just make sure exactly what year the groupset is as Campy SR 11 speed rear derailleurs were a bit weak sprung in first iteration.

Peter
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    Dabber wrote:
    I've got a Mortirolo (no longer made by Wilier). I love it. From the day I first saw some Wiliers I knew I had to get one...
    I'd like to get another one before too long. I see a few around but not many.

I've got the same bike & won't sell it (just going to downgrade it to winter bike)
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    I'm keeping an eye on this thread. No experience to add but looking to upgrade my current bike in the spring and really like the Willier GTR.
    I'm looking for a relaxed sportive ride so think this is the one to go for?
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Out of interest I have a 2011 Cento Uno (see pic below) and have loved it from the outset. It has been to both the Alps and Pyrenees with me and never put a foot wrong, even to the point where in 2013 I descended Alp Dhuex in under 14 minutes, getting 4th place on Strava out of over 4,500 !! (sorry I had to have a boast about that its about the only good thing on Strava I have ever done :D !!). For the entire descent it was solid as a rock.

I have previously owned a Trek, which was nice but no comparison. My Dolan winter bike feels like a lump of lead in comparison.

I am presently thinking of upgrading my existing Wilier to either a new Cento SR or Cento Air and tomorrow am picking up a Cento Air from my LBS for a week's trial. Reviews I have read say that it is fast but can be a harsh ride, hence the test. I will try to report back from my own personal perspective.

As for it being a rarity, that is a bonus for me. Admiring glances have followed me everywhere and I still smile when it is polished up ready to go (although it is now suffering a bit from some scratches and scrapes here and there).
  • Wilier, which stands for "W l'ITalia LIbera E Redenta" "hail Italy free and redeemed" was set up after the war... the owner was clearly a partisan ANTI-fascist.
    WIlier was making bikes when Mr Specialized and Mr Cannondale were sperms swimming in someone's sack.

As a kid I lured at the sight of a "ramata", the beautiful copper coated WIlier frame dressed in Super Record gears... shame on you!
    wilier01.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Tjgoodhew wrote:

No need for concern they are reputable. I would question the heritage of Canyon long before I did of Willier.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Started on an aluminium framed, carbon forked Wilier Escape, then graduated to an Izoard Centaur. Fabulous bike, just does the miles reliably, it's comfortable, looks awesome (mine's the pre-XP version) and is very nicely spec'd.

This one - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-wilier-bikes-izoard-centaur-10-37739/
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Wilier, which stands for "W l'ITalia LIbera E Redenta" "hail Italy free and redeemed" was set up after the war... the owner was clearly a partisan ANTI-fascist.
    WIlier was making bikes when Mr Specialized and Mr Cannondale were sperms swimming in someone's sack.

As a kid I lured at the sight of a "ramata", the beautiful copper coated WIlier frame dressed in Super Record gears... shame on you!
    wilier01.jpg

One day I will own a Ramata. It is IMO the most beautiful bicycle every made.

wilier01.jpg

Difficult to find one in good conditions... the electroplated coat tends to flake off in time.
  • Grifteruk wrote:
    As for it being a rarity, that is a bonus for me. Admiring glances have followed me everywhere and I still smile when it is polished up ready to go (although it is now suffering a bit from some scratches and scrapes here and there).

I went up the Grand Bo side of the Colombier on my Cento Uno and just as I go to the restaurant a guy from New Zealand came up the other side on his. We both managed an exhausted ‘nice bike!’ :lol:
  • I went up the Grand Bo side of the Colombier on my Cento Uno and just as I go to the restaurant a guy from New Zealand came up the other side on his. We both managed an exhausted ‘nice bike!’ :lol:

You should have swapped... it's an old tradition to swap bikes at the top of a col... :mrgreen:

wilier01.jpg

Difficult to find one in good conditions... the electroplated coat tends to flake off in time.

Yeah, you see a few come up but they do get flaky. Wilier did a short run of re issues a few years back - never saw one for sale

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.c ... amato.html