wheel dilema

deanhepworth
deanhepworth Posts: 15
edited January 2014 in Workshop
i have a pair of mavic cosmic carbone slr wheels that were a gift. great love them!
until i crashed and snapped spokes. so i sent the wheel to my LBS and they got a quote from mavic saying 460 quid plus shipping. and i just cant afford that. and i knew nothing of mavics mp3 service at the time so i dont have that.
i know that the rim could take normal spokes but the problem is its only a 20 hole rim. do you think that its possible find a 20 hole rear hub and build it with normal spokes? would the wheel built up with normal spokes be stiff enough. i am struggling to find a 20 hole rear hub

thanks . also sorry for any mistakes i am terrible at writing/ spelling

Comments

• sebo900
    sebo900 Posts: 14
    I'd talk to a wheelbuilder and see what they can source for you should be relatively cheap atleast cheaper then £460!, I'd reccomend dcr wheels send him an email http://www.dcrwheels.co.uk/contact/

Hope I've helped
  • thanks mate.
    im going to have a go at getting the rim built up onto a circus monkey hub ive found on ebay, worth a shot for 80 quid + the wheel building. hopefully there is no problems regarding the way the spokes are fitted. and the width of the hub.
    moral of the story. get wheels with normal spokes that can be replaced easily.
    i will post back and let you know if it works
  • Not sure why you need a new hub...

Anyway, yes there are a few rear hubs with 20 holes. Whether you can use normal spokes depends on the ay the spoke attaches to the rim, which I can't remember for the Carbone SLR
    left the forum March 2023
  • Have you tried to source replacement spokes yourself they seem to be about 3 euro apice from rosebikes.com

http://www.rosebikes.com/products/bike- ... r_products
  • My rim was fine. I just smashed some spokes up. The problem with the hub is that it takes rim to rim spokes.
    Thanks for the link too. But they dont sell the spokes for cosmic slr wheels unfortunately
  • My rim was fine. I just smashed some spokes up. The problem with the hub is that it takes rim to rim spokes.
    Thanks for the link too. But they dont sell the spokes for cosmic slr wheels unfortunately

Well, someone must sell them. If you only need spokes, I don't see why you need to flog all that money for a full rebuild and a new hub... there must be a cheaper way to solve the problem... keep trying!
  • http://www.behindthebikeshed.co.uk/6186 ... tAodRBoA7A
    If you need just the spoke look here. HTH
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • Ahh. I tried to find the spoke andnhad no luck. Thank you sir.
    Now I have to mess about rebuilding it as I have just been informed my Lbs fully dismantled the spokes
    I might be better buying a full set.
  • you realise a full set is about £50 dont you
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • 50 quid for a full set of spokes isnt extortionate really. And saves me faffing with another hub
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    NB: This post is best read with a Lloyd Grossman accent.

Who would own a set of wheels like this? Lets examine the evidence!

Expensive to buy, expensive to repair, with a spares policy created by the devil and as pretty as a Vauxhall Corsa with (fast and furious) blue neon running lights and 17 spoliers.

So in summary - someone with more money than sense.

OP - I know this does not all apply in your case (as they were a gift) but the amount of posts we get on these crappy wheels just makes you wonder why anyone would bother to own them in the first place.

Mavic - you need to hold your head in shame at such a disgraceful pricing/spares policy.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:

Mavic - you need to hold your head in shame at such a disgraceful pricing/spares policy.

Broke a spoke on a rear Mavic Wheel - cost me the princely sum of £10 to replace and repair.
  • smidsy
    letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Broke a spoke on a rear Mavic Wheel - cost me the princely sum of £10 to replace and repair.

Yes but we are talking their comic (no typo) variety here aren't we, not your CXP22.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I am sure there is miscommunication here... I for one have not understood what's wrong with this wheel. Yes, SLR spokes are expensive, but 400 pounds means they have quoted him a completely different job
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Yes but we are talking their comic (no typo) variety here aren't we, not your CXP22.

No I was making reference to your general disdain towards Mavic as reference your quote - anyway I personally have no preference towards the Cosmics - which the likes of Marcel Wurst have extolled the virtues of.
  • smidsy
    letap73 wrote:
    I was making reference to your general disdain towards Mavic as reference your quote - anyway I personally have no preference towards the Cosmics - which the likes of Marcel Wurst have extolled the virtues of.

Yes but he does not have to pay for repairs or worry about spares delivery times does he. In fact he probably gets paid to rave about them, I slate them for free :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • the problem with my wheel was that i smashed 3 spokes on the drive side and doing that gave it a slight buckle. as my lbs cannot do this in house. and they got a quote from mavic for £480. because they claimed that to rebuild it with spokes and they would only want to fit a new rim . not true mine ( i have no idea why) and the said they also fully service every wheel they get ( also pointless because mine had less than 400 miles on them!) so thats how they have come up with that price. now i did search for spokes but with no luck so that is were i came up with the idea of fitting a new hub. but alas thanks to someone showing me that the bike shed sell individual spokes i can now try to repair it.

yes mavics service has been very poor. and the fact that the wheels were sold without being told about the mp3 service is also a massive pain!
  • the problem with my wheel was that i smashed 3 spokes on the drive side and doing that gave it a slight buckle. as my lbs cannot do this in house. and they got a quote from mavic for £480. because they claimed that to rebuild it with spokes and they would only want to fit a new rim . not true mine ( i have no idea why) and the said they also fully service every wheel they get ( also pointless because mine had less than 400 miles on them!) so thats how they have come up with that price. now i did search for spokes but with no luck so that is were i came up with the idea of fitting a new hub. but alas thanks to someone showing me that the bike shed sell individual spokes i can now try to repair it.

yes mavics service has been very poor. and the fact that the wheels were sold without being told about the mp3 service is also a massive pain!

The LBS might be right and the rim might be damaged. A damaged rim can no longer be trued. If that is the case, then the quote does indeed make sense
    Either I misread, or you forgot to mention that you crashed it
  • The spokes braking were my fault putting my chain in the wheel when my di2 went crazy. It was my fault for not noticing that my derailer had split. Which was replaced under warranty.
    The rim has only a very slight buckle which will be trueable
  • The spokes braking were my fault putting my chain in the wheel when my di2 went crazy. It was my fault for not noticing that my derailer had split. Which was replaced under warranty.
    The rim has only a very slight buckle which will be trueable

If you are right, then they are trying to screw you... :evil:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have to say I have read this thread in full and I am not sure what exactly mavic are quoting for. The spokes on this wheel are carbon fibre so they will not be cheap. If mavic are rebuiding the entire wheel and replacing all spokes the cost will be high.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.