Handbuilts: Dura Ace/Pacenti SL23 build

2poc
2poc Posts: 99
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Thought i'd post up at new set of wheels I recently had built up. Total build comes in a £595 including a Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tubeless kit, x2 tyres, sealant, valve key etc.

FRONT
Hubs: Dura Ace 9000 24
Rims: Pacenti SL23
Spokes: DT Rev 2 cross
Nipples: Brass
Rim Tape: Stans Yellow
Weight: 722

REAR
Hubs: Dura Ace 9000 28
Rims: Pacenti SL23
Spokes: DT Rev NDS, Comp DS 2 cross
Nipples: Brass
Rim Tape: Stans Yellow
Weight: 892

TOTAL WEIGHT: 1614 grams (ex skewers, tubes, sealant)

11946066923_af060614fa_c.jpg

Flame away

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Lovely set of wheels but what makes them rims nearly £50 more than A23's?
  • Lovely set of wheels but what makes them rims nearly £50 more than A23's?

Distribution... in the US the A 23 is $ 80 and the Pacenti is $ 98, so not that far off. I think BLB are quite good at keeping the price of their imports at the same level as in the US... other imports are massively overpriced here
    left the forum March 2023
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Out of interest did you find it hard to get the tyres on. I have the same rims and never struggled so much putting some Michelins on.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    banditvic wrote:
    Out of interest did you find it hard to get the tyres on. I have the same rims and never struggled so much putting some Michelins on.

http://www.justridingalong.com/pacenti-sl23-rims.html

Good tips there. Basically avoid thick rim tape, use Stans yellow tape.
  • 2poc
    As UGO says, down to distribution. Having said that they are very very stiff, nice and wide and the braking performance is the best i've experienced by some margin, build quality is also a little better than the a23. Are they worth £50 over a23s - your call.

Tyres were tough to fit but not a real pain like some MTB tyre/wheel combos, it took approx 5 mins per wheel. I used heavy duty levers and the special jizz Schwalbe provide as part of the tubeless kit. I wouldn't have liked to fit the tyres with weak levers and no solution.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I am using veloplugs.
  • 2poc
    Did you use any mounting fluid? Fitting a dry tyre would be difficult. You need to get the tyre edges deep into the centre of the rim, veloplugs may not let the tyres sink deep enough hence Stans Tape being recommended? I havent used VeloPlugs before so not too sure though.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Schwalbe have seriously messed up the logo orientation on their tubeless tyres.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Nice. I've been looking at the very same build myself. Interesting that yours come in nearly 100g heavier than the same build quoted on the JRA website.

P
  • 2poc
    1. I went for brass nipples over alloy adding a little weight, plus
    2. My scales are not the most accurate, plus
    3. Always a slight variance
  • I too have these rims built up on DT Swiss 240s also built by Just Riding Along and love them ...very very stiff and comftable and have survived some clumsy potholes along the way .
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The RRP on the Pancenti rims is £97. I looked at importing them before evolution imports took them up (I was looking at 10 rims and there would have been no profit in them). 300 rims ex works from China (that were they are made) by the time they landed meant a retail price of around £85-90 and not with a big margin. There is no way given the price I was given by Kirk that a price lower than £90 could be justifed if you want to keep the lights on that is.

Nice rim but at £90 vs £55 for the archetype you have to want to empty your wallet a bit to justify them. Still on DA hubs I can see the point.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 2poc
    This game is rarely a rational one :-)
  • 2POC wrote:
    This game is rarely a rational one :-)

Did they come de - stickered or was that a personal choice ?
  • 2poc
    Personal choice, I asked for them to be removed.