150 pounds xc wheelset

thrasyvoulosvlachos
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey there guys been a couple of weeks since i bought my new scott scale 70, and i'd like to upgrade my wheelset. I would like something relatively light (~1800 g if possible around this budget) good rolling and with 9mm if possible cause i cant afford changing my fork now too since i'm only 14 and it takes quite some time to save money :wink:

Thanks in advance

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd stretch the budget a little and get these - http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=827

Light, quality rims and spokes and superstars latest hubs, quality bearings and great pickup. A little over budget but definitely worth it!
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I assume you mean/want 26in wheels, few options for you:

This ones under budget but has a weight limit of 65kg - 20h front, 24h rear, 6 bolt disc, 9mm, ~1540g - http://www.rczbikeshop.com/default/rcz- ... black.html

This one is slightly over budget - 28h front and 32h rear, 6 bolt disc, 9mm, ~ 1450g - http://www.rczbikeshop.com/default/rcz- ... -2014.html

This one is also slightly over budget - 32h front and rear, 6 bolt disc, 9mm, ~1740g - http://www.rczbikeshop.com/default/rcz- ... black.html

The first one is an option for you now at your age but you'll probably outgrow them real quick, they are a good price though. The ZTR rims on the second and third options are really good, the third option is the strongest and most robust, probably more aimed at trail/am riding.

I'd put you on the second wheelset, 300g lighter than your target and will be more than fine for XC & trail riding.
  • Thx for the advice guys rly appreciate it. I guess i'll just save up a bit more and get that 1450 g set. Im 61 kg now and they seem pretty damn light. Btw is 12,4 kg the real weight of the scale 70 cause it just seems too light for its specs and ive seen several bikes with a lot better components being around the same weight
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Imo I'd be wary of the RCZ wheels, never heard of them and have no idea who makes the hubs and how easily available spares are, plus if anything goes wrong they appear to be in Holland so back up will be limited. At that price I also struggle to see how they're going to be 1450g, claimed weights are not always spot on and if a deal looks too good to be true it often is. I've bought a set of wheels from superstar however and they're claimed weights seem pretty good, plus the hubs are known quantity, spares will be easily available and superstar offer a lifetime free truing service as well I believe. Overall I'd say they'll be better and last longer than the RCZ wheels and if anything does go wrong you'll have decent customer support from them.

As for the weight of a Scale 70, no idea if it right or not, manufacturers often weight bikes without pedals which 300-400g but 12.4KG sounds about right for that kinda spec with out pedals, it'll definitely be under 13KG though I would have have thought
  • About customer support i dont rly think i will have customer support from superstar when i live in greece. Anyways they look like quality ones. A friend of mine had suggested some fulcrums red power xl. What do you think about them
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Lawman - all valid points that you've raised and all should be taken into account. Just want to add that I've dealt with rczbikeshop a few times and even returned some parts under warranty, to date and touch wood I've not had an issue with them, they are actually Luxembourg based afaik, despite that delivery and turnaround time with the few problems I've had is really quick... so I think on the support side it should be covered.

As for the hubs, honestly no experience with them so cant defend them... but odds are they get knocked out of the same factory in asia that makes many others, in which case parts should be fine, bearings are not an issue.

And lastly on the price side... have a look around their site, they have some really expensive stuff going for peanuts in some cases... I bought a DT Swiss XMM 120 twinshot fork from them a month or so back for £193.74, cheapest I can find the same for at the moment is £480+. Not sure how they achieve these prices but they seem to be able to offer heavily discounted prices, perhaps something to do with the VAT rules in Luxembourg.

No I don't work for RCZ! :)

thrasyvoulosvlachos - you should also consider the superstar wheels, I've a friend that has a set and he has nothing but praise for them.
  • Rcz and probikeshop are some of the cheapest bike shops. Unlike chain "pharmacy" cycles :D