Revelation RL - RCT3 Damper.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
All

I have a set of 2012 revelation RL dual air forks. They need a bit of a service and I noticed when looking for the service kit, that you can buy the RCT3 damper for 2012 models for about £70.

Would this fit in my RL forks and would it be a worth while up-grade?

Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It will fit and for £70 it's worthwhile.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Is it difficult to do or is it a ship off to TFtuned job?
  • From what I've seen in the manual, it doesn't look to hard to remove it. That's why I thought about it.

Would I need to do anything with the rebound unit?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can leave the rebound. Just unscrew the damper and screw in the new one.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Where have you seen it for £70?

yep damper is very easy to replace. Take any compression and floodgate knobs off, unscrew top cap with socket, pull the damper out, fit the new damper and knobs by doing everything in reverse.

If the damping oil is fresh you won't even need to replace, it let it drip off the damper and back into fork when taking old damper out. If the oil is old then simply tip the fork over and drain out old oil and add new oil according to the manual.
  • Im also interested in finding out where you can get a RCT3 damper for £70 that extremely cheap. If your replcing the oil off the top of my head its 134ml of 5 wt. As for the rebound, to get the full potential of the new damper you really should upgrade the rebound unit too, but it will work ok with just the replacement damper.
  • It was on JE James but doesn't seem to be now. They have the RL and RLT still. I also thought it was cheap and that's why I thought about doing it. At least I know it can be. What sort of price are they normally?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Revs all come with the dual flow rebound damper, so nothing to replace
  • Yes they all come dual flow, but ive had different models apart and the quality and performance of the rebound assemblies differ greatly say from one in a basic model to one in an RCT3 (from the quality of the construction materials down to the glide ring). So upgrading the rebound damper will and does improve the performance with out doubt. Whether every one would feel the difference is another matter.
  • jairaj
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    What sort of price are they normally?
    Usually around double that price.
  • DCR00
    zer0c00l44 wrote:
    Yes they all come dual flow, but ive had different models apart and the quality and performance of the rebound assemblies differ greatly say from one in a basic model to one in an RCT3 (from the quality of the construction materials down to the glide ring). So upgrading the rebound damper will and does improve the performance with out doubt. Whether every one would feel the difference is another matter.

I fail to see how that can be true. Fact is that all Revs come with dual flow. There isn't a quality differentiation between the dual flow rebound dampers, and if you buy after market, you will always get the same damper.

Check out the SRAM tech docs. Same damper has been used for the last few years.

RCT3 only refers to the compression damper unit BTW

edit

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/_vsHO ... ev_a_0.pdf

page 44
  • I work on forks all the time and the rebound dampers although all dual flow (and on paper exactly the same) can vary from fork to fork in materials and the way they have been put together (tolerances using a vernier) as they are manufactured in many different places. I had an oem revelation rct3 the other day that had basically fell apart inside the leg. Both the damper and the rebound damper were bin jobs. And there is a clear difference in materials when held up against identical model after market products.

Im well aware that the RCT3 refers to the damper, but I know for a fact the rebound damper assemblies in an Rl (although obviously the same design and may look identical) are not the same quality as in an RCT3, (some may be but most are not) they are of inferior build quality and dont perform as well. And like I said, you can for sure feel a difference in replacing the one with the other, the response and oil flow through the damper is much improved.

And how can you say there is not a difference from unit to unit. I worked in precision manufacturing for many years and believe me the difference in the same product (units) coming off the same production line can be astounding. Then you have to account for the human factor in the assembly process.

Ill leave it at that I cant be arsed to get into a debate, you believe what you want and ill believe what I know to be true.
  • DCR00
    We arent talking about oem though are we? Hence my reference to after market
  • DCR00
    Please tell us how you ensure you get a better quality after market rebound damper then, when there is only one part number?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get the RCT cheaper from the US, about the same US$ price as £!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=roc ... t3&_sop=15
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DCR00
    My preference would be the Blackbox damper over the RCT3, but then i'm not a fan of preset compression settings

Has both HS and LS compression circuits. I had one in my Sektors and it was by far the best damper ive used (better than the one in my 36s). I also had the dual flow rebound damper.

Not cheap though. Think i paid £180 for mine.
  • jairaj
    FYI - if you bought your fork from Merlin there is a good chance that it could be an OEM fork. There are a few other people selling these so it is very possible to not have the exact specification as the after market options.

The guy who runs Loco tuning says the RCT3 is better than the Blackbox damper. Similar systems, with a HSC compression shim stack and adjustable LSC but the RCT3 has some amendments.
  • DCR00
    jairaj wrote:
    Similar systems, with a HSC compression shim stack and adjustable LSC but the RCT3 has some amendments.

you sure ?

I'm pretty sure the RCT3 doesn't have a HS circuit. That's why i bought the BB over the RCT3 (which was cheaper)
  • jairaj
    Nope not sure, just what I was told and have read on the interwebs.