24 inch Mountain Bikes - What's good for kid's?

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
I want to upgrade my children's bikes to 24 inch mountain bikes. What ones are good out there? Also what age did your children move to this size - they are 7 and all I seem to be doing on their 20 inch bikes is putting the seat up and they fit most 24 inch bikes.

Thanks.

Comments

• Each of my kids moved up at about this age, what surprised me at the time were the appalling front forks fitted to kids' bikes. Some I had trouble getting any travel out of even throwing my, not inconsiderable, weight on them.
    Also most still have heavy steel frames, and nice light weight ally bikes seem few and far between.

In the end I got my daughter a Raleigh Diva (quite girlie styling) but a nice plush fork, and a few years later my son got a Giant STP, but I still had to take the fork apart and reduce the length of the preload adjuster to get him any sag.

With a set of knobbly tires my son rode the STP round FTD at Cannock a good few times.

They're both now hanging in the shed (bikes not kids) and one day the STP may get rebuilt as a dedicated DJ.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Hi All

My son has got a Giant XTC Jr 24" wheel and to be honest I think it is a good bike, I have swapped the revo gear shifter to rapid fire shifters and matching brake levers and better pedals.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I found the Carrera a bit heavy and the disc brakes more a hinderence than a benefit.

Depending on your budget I'd look at Isla Bikes first, then Specialized Hotrock (A1 version) or maybe Orbea which are nice and light and look very good in my lbc.

Unfortunately unless you're prepared to pay adult prices you wont get a good fork on a kids 24" bike.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    This is an interesting option if you are willing to pay for it: http://www.whytebikes.com/2014/product. ... 9&xSec=134

Otherwise Isla bikes are excellent.

My girls have had the Luna from Halfords which is OK (but pretty weighty) at the cheaper end of the spectrum.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Also see this forum: viewforum.php?f=40032
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    Ok thanks for the options. That Whyte looks awesome but way to expensive!
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    My daughter has the carerra Luna, she loves it, took a little while to get the brakes set up properly, rear kept sticking which seems to be an issue between the cable routing and the Clark's design, kept causing it to stick partially on.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    The ridgeback bikes have a decent spec and are lasting my 2 monsters well , mine have got the mx16 and mx20 great bikes.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Father Christmas brought my daughter a Focus Raven Rookie. It's fairly light and surprisingly the fork actually works under her light weight.

IMG_2297_zps7498befe.jpg

IMG_2314_zpsedfe3ecc.jpg
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009