Campag EPS Ergos: Record v Super Record

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Am I right in thinking that the only difference between the two versions is the three cut outs in the carbon lever blade and the 'Super Record' logo?

Any Campag experts out there?

Comments

• Yip.

Just bought an EPS groupset for a C59 build and apart from an extra bit of carbon on the front mech and (I think) a few Ti bolts ‘n’ bits on the rear mech the only other differences are a few holes cut out of the SR shifters.

NB – Even the Pros use Record EPS. You might get the odd bike that has full SR EPS but Europcar, Ag2r, Lotto and Wiggle Honda mostly use Record.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have Super Record EPS on my Europcar C59 and Record EPS on my M10, personally I prefer the Record shifters, I don't like the cut-outs of the Super Record, I'm told there is a weight difference in both Groupsets, personally I don't really care, only reason I wanted SR on my Europcar is that I wanted it to be the highest spec I could build within my budget.

Last year Tommy V was using record shifters in the tour, can't remember about the rest of the groupset, but once you're down to the UCI limit then it really doesn't matter whether it is record or SR.

BTW once you have ridden with it you'll never want to go back to mechanical.
  • Velonutter wrote:
    I have Super Record EPS on my Europcar C59 and Record EPS on my M10, personally I prefer the Record shifters, I don't like the cut-outs of the Super Record, I'm told there is a weight difference in both Groupsets, personally I don't really care, only reason I wanted SR on my Europcar is that I wanted it to be the highest spec I could build within my budget.

Last year Tommy V was using record shifters in the tour, can't remember about the rest of the groupset, but once your down to the UCI limit then it really doesn't matter whether it is record or SR.

BTW once you have ridden with it you'll never want to go back to mechanical.

Same reason I put SR on my other bike - had a crash and had the cash ;-)

I'm about to put the EPS on Mark's last C59 frame. Can't wait! :-)
  • recession1.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • Velonutter
    recession1.jpg

PMSL for an Italian you certainly have grasped the English Language lol :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Velonutter
    Here's the weights declared by Campag: -
  • Velonutter wrote:

86 grams difference... half a small turd... :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

86 grams difference... half a small turd... :wink:

Believe me I need every turd I can to get me up some of those hills :roll: :shock: :mrgreen:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Interesting that SR EPS weighs less than Record manual.

Also disturbing is that there is far worse value for money in weight saving than buying a SR cassette rather than a Record one!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    proto wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that the only difference between the two versions is the three cut outs in the carbon lever blade and the 'Super Record' logo?

I think SR uses titanium bolts etc as well
  • LegendLust wrote:
    proto wrote:

Just had a check on the website. The only Ti is in the axl, the cassette and the rear and front mech. Weight saving on shifters is from cutting a few bits of carbon out.
  • Titanium bolts as an upgrade... :? I had titanium bolts in Super Record 1979... I can't believe in 2014 they're still selling titanium bolts as a "luxury item"
  • Titanium bolts as an upgrade... :? I had titanium bolts in Super Record 1979... I can't believe in 2014 they're still selling titanium bolts as a "luxury item"

But Super Record was a luxury in 1979.
  • But Super Record was a luxury in 1979.

I know... one would expect by now titanium bolts to be mainstream
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust wrote:
    proto wrote:

Just had a check on the website. The only Ti is in the axl, the cassette and the rear and front mech. Weight saving on shifters is from cutting a few bits of carbon out.

Sorry but there is Ti in SR Ergo's. This is lifted from Campag's Super Record Ergo page

Technical Specifications
    for caliper brakes - composite body ? ball bearings - lightened carbon brake lever - internal mechanism parts in titanium - Ultra-Shift ™ geometry - ergonomic brake lever with high fulcrum - brake opening control integrated with the brake lever - insert for large hands - Vari- Cushion™ silicone hoods - No-Bulge™ housing path - minimum friction housings - front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility - multiple shifting

There is a great comparison feature on Campag's site - so you can see difference's between models

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/compar ... werRec.jsp
  • LegendLust wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    proto wrote:

Sorry but there is Ti in SR Ergo's. This is lifted from Campag's Super Record Ergo page

Technical Specifications
    for caliper brakes - composite body ? ball bearings - lightened carbon brake lever - internal mechanism parts in titanium - Ultra-Shift ™ geometry - ergonomic brake lever with high fulcrum - brake opening control integrated with the brake lever - insert for large hands - Vari- Cushion™ silicone hoods - No-Bulge™ housing path - minimum friction housings - front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility - multiple shifting

There is a great comparison feature on Campag's site - so you can see difference's between models

Yeah but that's for a mechanical group set. There's hardly anything to an EPS shifter, it's all wired apart from a pivot for the brake lever.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Remember when comparing the groupset weights that most of the components are shared between EPS and mechanical and the biggest differences are in the mechanical components (chainset, sprockets etc). That's why SR EPS is lighter than Record mechanical.

If you only compare the EPS-specific components, there is only 13g difference between SR EPS and Record EPS! So if you have a mechanical groupset already and are upgrading to EPS, that's all you will save by going with SR over Record.

What's the price difference for the upgrade kits between SR and Record I wonder, i.e. how much does that 13g cost?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh come on now! It didn't take much to find out! Starbike charge £1535.04 for the Record upgrade and £1,809.01 for Super Record.

So you are paying £273.97p for the 13grams. Or £21.07 per gram. The most eyewatering price per gram in my upgrade programme for my Look (admittedly at well below retail - but even so) was £5.49 per gram to save the 51 grams between a Record CT chainset and Centaur Carbon.

You can probably knock another gram or two off your Record EPS for free by drilling out the third hole in the brake levers! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    proto wrote:

Technical Specifications

Yeah but that's for a mechanical group set. There's hardly anything to an EPS shifter, it's all wired apart from a pivot for the brake lever.

DOH! Didn't see the little three letters in the post title! My apologies
  • So in the end the moral is that they can use all the acronyms they want but between record and super record one is redundant.
    That can be said of pretty much the entire Campagnolo range...
    Veloce/Centaur = spot the 8 little differences
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Oh come on now! It didn't take much to find out! Starbike charge £1535.04 for the Record upgrade and £1,809.01 for Super Record.

I managed to do a full Record EPS group including brakes, chainset and cups for just shy of £1400 playing the interweb sale game. There’s bargains* to be had out there…

*I appreciate that £1400 for some wires and carbon may not sound like a bargain to some folk :|
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Rolf F wrote:

So you are paying £273.97p for the 13grams. Or £21.07 per gram.

I think Mr Boonen would say £21.07 a gram is not to be sniffed at and therefore it would have to be sniffed at.