I got hit by a bat

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
I didn't know you COULD get hit by a bat. They have this sonary, pingy, screechy thing going on that stopped bat bouncing from occurring.

I wonder if it was a deaf bat?

I took a left turn between hamlets on the way in this morning and this deaf bat flew out from behind a hedge and bounced off my noggin before flapping off in a slightly dazed way. I've had a bird strike in the past and innumerable insects, but a bat?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• A cat, no a bat
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Sorry mate I didn't hear you.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    A deaf bat is probably preferable to a baseball bat if you're going to get hit by one. Did the camera get it?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Didn't have the camera on and it was pitch black at the time (plus it was on the other side of the helmet)

Does this mean I have another reason to wear a cape?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • If you heard a racket then it couldn't have been a bat.

Could it have been a snitch wot hit you?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm not Harry bloody Potter.

Although I did do that online test thing that said I was...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Meat Loaf anyone?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Kieran_Burns
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Meat Loaf anyone?

That is so very, very bad...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Meat Loaf anyone?
    If I start singing Meatloaf to myself I will have to hunt you down. :evil:
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Meat Loaf anyone?
    If I start singing Meatloaf to myself I will have to hunt you down. :evil:
    Does this help then?
    I'm on the hunt down I'm after you. Blah. Blah. Blah. And I'm hungry like the wolf
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,675
    Didn't have the camera on and it was pitch black at the time (plus it was on the other side of the helmet)

Does this mean I have another reason to wear a cape?

Perhaps it was the cape that disrupted the bat's echo-location, like a sort of [ahem] cloaking device.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1vZ78az5FBVwETJLXZtFGBcnbW4na62Mmy2oSbdHPsCtbr8GMfA
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If Kieran is the Batman, who's going to tag a Robin?

Does that make me the Joker?

I'll get my coat......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    Scrolled past Toeknee's post before I had a chance to read it in full as I could guess what was coming. Isn't it annoying how trying not to think of something makes you think of the thing you're trying not to think about.
    Very good RJS :-)
  • Nearly ran over a fox the other day.....

As for bats...in her Nursery day out in London Zoo last summer, we visited the
    bat exhibit....very stinky animals and my daugher nearly felt sick so we had to scramble out quite quickly!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • I've had a bat hit my helmet before ... when out cycling, before anyone thinks I mean something else !! :-)
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    I nearly got taken out by a duck recently. It was facing me on a towpath, tried to fly away but flight mechanics mean that to do so, it had to travel forwards to achieve speed and lift, nearly hitting my head and causing an off!
  • Bat landed on my arm while I cycled home last year .. it sat there for a second or so and then flapped off.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • I was once attacked by a Heron that was standing in the middle of the towpath alongside the Lee Navigation Canal in Three Mills, Bow. It was bloody big!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Did the bat have wings like a shield of steel.
  • Kieran_Burns
    JZed wrote:

Thanks for that. I've just gone from Batfink to Powered Toast Maaaaaaaan.

Quick man! Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • JZed wrote:
    I don't fink so.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I had a bat fall into my bath once. I found it sat on the top of the chain drying off. You know an entire colony of Pipistrelle bats might only weigh 500 grams - maybe 5 grams each. I expect that's down to extensive use of carbon fibre.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Subject reminds me of that scene in "The Untouchables". Glad it was only the small furry kind then.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I didn't know you COULD get hit by a bat. They have this sonary, pingy, screechy thing going on that stopped bat bouncing from occurring.

I took a left turn between hamlets on the way in this morning and this deaf bat flew out from behind a hedge and bounced off my noggin before flapping off in a slightly dazed way. I've had a bird strike in the past and innumerable insects, but a bat?

Smoking cigars on the commute. How very casually deliberate of you.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Ben6899 wrote:

Smoking cigars on the commute. How very casually deliberate of you.

"Like"! :lol:
  • The Rookie
    Was reminded of this thread last night while watching fruit bats with a 2foot wingspan fly past, I doubt one of those would be a little glancing blow if you were on bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Was reminded of this thread last night while watching fruit bats with a 2foot wingspan fly past, I doubt one of those would be a little glancing blow if you were on bike!
    Were you riding an Orange?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I too got hit by a bat while cycling home one night - it just bounced off my head. I'd had a couple of beers so didn't even flinch, just thought "that was a bat!" and carried on.

Their much-vaunted sonar clearly isn't designed to cope with cyclists.
    Misguided Idealist
  • The Rookie wrote:

No that would be a 2ft Outspan.

(Taking a chance that you were referring to fruit and not my Outspan/Wingspan take on things. Need to put this to make me feel better)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    No but I was on my iPad......