Presta valves...rant alert!

davep1
davep1 Posts: 836
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Been having problems with these lately, on a bunch of different branded inner tubes, road and mtb. The locking nut at the top is connected to the valve mechanism, which can also unscrew, but they don't seem to seal into the valve stem. I have had leaks from them, I undo the nut and the whole thing comes flying out, so when I want to just top a slightly low pressure tube, I usually have to go from dead flat. When I am at home with the track pump it isn't a big deal, but when out on a ride it is massively frustrating.

There is an o ring seal at the opposite end to the locking nut, which I guess should be fairly tight in the valve stem. With my current tube I can't seem to get this to stay in place, would super glue be ok? Any other tips?

Comments

• A small bit of plumbers ptfe tape will solve the problem. Not glue.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    You need some better inner tubes.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    These have been a variety of brands though, and both on and off-road. Undoing the locking nut seems to undo the valve from the stem; before I realised it was this I had taken two or three out of the tyre looking for punctures. I'm sure this didn't used to happen even only a couple of years ago.

Will try the ptfe tape.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I grip the valve stem with a pair of pliers and use a tiny adjustable spanner to tighten the valve core before I use a new Continental tube. No problems after that.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    keef66 wrote:
    I grip the valve stem with a pair of pliers and use a tiny adjustable spanner to tighten the valve core before I use a new Continental tube. No problems after that.

Good advice. I always (or nearly always) do this with my Continental tubes. Yesterday proved the exception...

Pothole = snakebite... popped in a new Coni tube, inflated it with my screw on Lenzyne Pressure Drive, came to unscrew the hose and yes, the inner core came out attached to the hose. Not best pleased.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A bit of PTFE tape is a good idea but don't go mad you don't need much. Otherwise just use tools to tighten up the removable core and remember you don't have to do the valve up silly tight once you've inflated the tyre.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}