Need opinions......Ribble v.s Cube

sharmalini2001
sharmalini2001 Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I am fairly new to road cycling, I started in April last year and did Ltp in September. For this I bought a Viking pursuit as I didn't know how long I would cycle for but now I've been bitten by the bug. I did a sportive at the end of last year and yesterday was the first ride of this year.

Now I know it's something I will stick with I want to buy a fairly decent ride. I have seen two and I have no idea which to go for so I'm looking for some opinions of people in the know.......

1.) http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... BRC&bike=1
With shimano 105's, itm carbon bars, stem, seat pillar and time carbon pedals coming to about £1400

Or

2.) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod111918

I hope I'm in the right place and I can get some opinions

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Hi, the link to the Ribble doesnt work. What is your actual budget?
  • Hi, the link to the Ribble doesnt work. What is your actual budget?

Should be sorted now.....................

Not really sure of budget really, I was looking around the £1000 mark but thats not really set in stone. Once you put all the extra components on the Ribble becomes more expensive.
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    I have the 872 and love it. I think the frame is more than capable of what most people can throw at it and is certainly worth getting and then upgrading as and when. The only thing I would say is that the wheels that you have chosen whilst they are sturdy are also fairly heavy and I would recommend changing them first.
  • Bookwyse wrote:
    I have the 872 and love it. I think the frame is more than capable of what most people can throw at it and is certainly worth getting and then upgrading as and when. The only thing I would say is that the wheels that you have chosen whilst they are sturdy are also fairly heavy and I would recommend changing them first.

I guess my real question should be is the Ribble worth £300-400 more than the Cube?

The wheels need to be sturdy as im not exactly small..................
  • Bookwyse wrote:

I guess my real question should be is the Ribble worth £300-400 more than the Cube?

Depends on which frame fits you the best. Leaving fit aside though, the cube is a better deal.

Edit: Have you checked out Planet X bikes?
  • Remarkable wrote:
    Bookwyse wrote:

Depends on which frame fits you the best. Leaving fit aside though, the cube is a better deal.

Edit: Have you checked out Planet X bikes?

No I havent, I checked the reviews on the Ribble bikes and they all came above the Planet X. If im honest my knowledge about bikes is shocking (hence buying a Viking)

• No I havent, I checked the reviews on the Ribble bikes and they all came above the Planet X. If im honest my knowledge about bikes is shocking (hence buying a Viking)

Reviews are highly subjective. The Planet X's are great bikes. The Pro Carbon model in particular has been around for years with a lot of success. Whatever you buy, make sure it is the right size for you. :)
  • Bookwyse
    Cubes slightly better specced but I would still go for the Ribble.

Have ridden Cubes, Planet X Nanolight and Scott CR1 Pro and yet the bike that puts the biggest smile on my face is the 872. Stiff, light, responsive, good climber, great downhill am even trying it for TTs this year.
  • Well its done! I have just ordered the Ribble..........In the end it came down to looks mainly, I just think it looks awesome!!!

And lets be honest its a million times better than my current ride!!
  • Bookwyse
    Nice one,

Herse mine, ready for some TT's soon:

image_zps077ace9a.jpg~original