Pulling together a Morzine trip: 16th-30th august

UH DH
UH DH Posts: 4,160
edited January 2014 in Holidays
So, here's a thing I do every year. It's pretty much the highlight of my year.

Anyway, I have an apartment lined up near the centre of Morzine from the 16th-30th of august this year. I currently have 6 people coming on the trip, and the apartment will take 10 people, so am looking to fill the remaining spaces. If needs be, additional apartments can be rented. It's in a big building.

If you didn't already know, Morzine is at the eastern end of the Portes Du Soleil, with some of the best riding in Europe. Fair enough it isn't THE best in Europe. It has some pretty neat contenders, but the main draw of the area, apart from the sun and dusty trails, is the sheer diversity of riding. With 10 different resorts in the PDS, all linked and on your single liftpass, you have so amny options for where to ride that it'll take you more than a week of exploring.

The main attraction is the downhill trails, but you very rarely hear about all the cross country out there as well. I know it's there, I've seen maps, I've just never done any of it.

As for the apartment. It's 3-5 minutes from the Supermorzine lift, which is the main access to the rest of the PDS. Supermarket on the doorstep, 5 rooms of 2 people, all en-suite and single beds. Secure bike lockup downstairs, workshop, tools, workstands, jet washer. There's a sauna somewhere in the building. Entertainment centre in the lounge, wifi, all mod-cons in the kitchen.

As for me, I've organised trips out to morzine since 2006, to varying degrees of success. I've worked seasons out there and at this point know my way around the whole area pretty well. I should do, I used to drive transfers there. I'm not planning on organising anything about the holiday beyond the accommodation itself, but I can give advice on where to try out, things to do if you're not biking that day or whatever.

The accommodation comes in at £320 for a fortnight. Liftpass you'll need to sort for yourself. There are no official prices yet, but expect it to be around the £125 mark. The place is self-catering, so the place is equipped for you to sort your own meals out, though it is usually worth grouping together and doing a big shop rather than just buying for yourself. In past years, with a fairly decent menu, we've still managed sub €2/day per person.

Travel is also up to you, though I can recommend different ways of getting there, and shall do so below...

Driving: Makes more sense as a group sharing ferry, fuel, tolls and driving. From Calais or Dunkirk it takes just over 8 hours on the tollroads, with about €70 tolls each way for a car. Surprisingly, with 3 in a car, it works out cheaper than flying. Not quicker though.

Flying: Into Geneva airport. Morzine is about 90 minutes drive. Transfers go for around £25-50 per person each way.

Train: You can get trains as close as Cluses or Thonon. Still leaves you with a fair transfer, but it IS possible.

Filling the apartment isn't crucial. It helps, but isn't a requirement. The nature of this apartment though means it's actually ideal for small groups or even newbies to French riding. The few of us who are confirmed ahve been multiple times and cover most skill levels, so if you're looking for a decent place to try out Morzine, we're perfect.

If you are interested, either fire off a Private Message or drop a post in here. Even if you're not interested in coming with us but want to know more about the Alps and it's riding, still post, I can answer most questions!
Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
It's good for you.