From cheap mountain bike to Cdf OR Croix De Fer? Which one?

sumo55
sumo55 Posts: 7
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hi
I am soon to buy a new bike and kept deciding on the Genesis Cdf. I have done numerous research and got a bike fitting done etc and learnt as much as poss about components etc. I am a pure cyclist commuter but no racer. I am looking for a drop handle bike to commute further distance with some carrying of luggage involved.

I have a 16kg uninteresting Ventura Mammoth and it is a mammoth of weight! But My legs are pretty strong up hills and hardly ever changed from my largest sprocket (if I have the name right!)

I'm not a serious cyclist but would like to do more long distance in the future. I do need a workhorse that will last me and I am not interested in being fast, but able to go further and up hills easier than my mountain bike.

Should I really be fussing and just get a Cdf or should I be going for the next up being the Croix de Fer? Money is a bit of an issue but i can get either. Insurance is an issue as my limit is £1k. Bike to work scheme I can not do due to working to few hours(after speaking to boss and accountant) and am self employed.

I've read that Cdf gear ranging is not enough for hills, but will it still be better than my mountain bike if I've got quite strong legs?! Also is it true Sora lever are hard to reach for small hands? Are these not adjustable or is that still too far at its adjusted setting?

So which bike should I get?
Hope you can help my forever changing decision!

s
:?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you been specifically fitted to these bikes?
  • The Genesis Cdf should be easier up hills due to being lighter, with less rolling resistance (probably) the gearing is quite low 34-30 not as low as a MTB 22-34/36 clearly but still it's a low gear that will get you easily up most hills.

if your planning on touring ie traveling with luggage, have you thought about Touring bikes?
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    The planet x kaffenback and boardman cx are other good alternatives
  • sumo55
    sumo55 Posts: 7
    Hi all
    I had a bike fit just to find out what frames i need to look out for.
    I have gone and ordered the Cdf now so fingers crossed. But like one of you said, any thing like this bike or more is going to be way different to what I have now so I shouldn't be worrying and I'm going to go with that. I also don't want to worry about the amount I spent left out as money is a bit of an issue for me.

I like the genesis as they are very minimal on the paintwork design. Everything looks a bit ugly and flashy to me.

THanks for your help. But keep throwing replies if you have any.

Su
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just don't expect it to fit like the bike fit bike! Bike fits are specific to the bike and components, this will feel different.