Which mountain Sportive ?

fuzzdog
fuzzdog Posts: 196
Hi Everyone.
Could I please call upon the benefit of your greater collective knowledge with regard to Mountain Sportives in either the Alps or the Pyrenees.

I have always wanted to go and climb some of the tour's legendary climbs. When I was a young man I cycled from Bordeaux to Barcelona through the Pyrenees and did make it up superbagneres in Luchon in the Pyrenees where Robert Miller once won a tour stage. I loved it but have never been back for more. I am now 46 and have recently got back into cycling. However I am not able to do as much as I would like so I'm not as fit as I would like. I did my first organised ride in years last year with the Ride London 100 and I was able to complete it in 5.30 which will give you an idea of my level. I love the idea of climbing although I'm not the best but this year I hope to get fitter than last and get myself a compact chainset.

Anyway. to get to the point. Can anyone advise me of a sportive or event that I could undertake this year. I realise that I probably need to get myself organised soon if I am to register for a ride this summer but I'm finding it difficult to see the wood for the trees.

I would love to do the Marmotte but I think it would probably be a bit much or me at the moment. I saw that there is a ride called the Mi Marmotte which is a bit shorter. My preference is for Alpe d'Huez or La Tourmalet in the Pyrenees, later in the year, preferably September. A one day ride or maybe 2 or three as it would be nice to take in a few other climbs as well. I guess I could just do it alone but I don't have any cycling mates anymore and I really enjoyed the company of the other riders at the ride London. It could be a charity event although maybe one where you can pay your way as my friends and work mates are probably fed up with me badgering them or cash after last year.

My girlfriend lives in Barcelona So to finish there would be great but as I've done that before perhaps it really should be the Alps. With all that in mind does anyone have any suggestions.

One last thing. Not too expensive if poss. I'm not that flush so preferably under a grand hopefully a lot under.

All Suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• The Bone Breaker looked quite good on the TV prog last night.
  • fuzzdog
    Yes! What channel was that on. I'll check it out.
  • Channel 5 - be warned it's a bit of a daft documentary - getting people who've never cycled to do naff all training for 3 months then get them to cycle 127 miles, but the bits they showed of the sportive it looked good.
  • fuzzdog
    Okay. Thanks. It looks quite tough. I just checked it out on the net. but 8000 people do it so I guess its not impossible.
  • They had some people who had never cycled before and three months training and they did it. Although to be fair two of them abandoned after the first climb.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Mini marmotte is OK - does the Galibier and Alpe D'Huez - though to be honest you may find it a bit of an easy option given you seem to be starting from a reasonable base. The good thing about it is the main pack from the Marmotte should catch you (I think) so you get a big event feel. The downside is it isn't a loop so you need to get over to the start the night before or back from the finish in the evening. There is also a 2 day version of the full Marmotte where you start off the day before and stay in Valloire over night - although it's more of an audax style event a couple of guys we were with did it and they were finishing at the same time as the Marmotte - I did 7.30 and passed them on the Alpe, you'd be faster but probably get caught by the front pack (maybe).
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fuzzdog
    That's great info DeVlaeminck. Thanks very much.
    I didn't realise the mini was the same day as the full Marmotte. I suppose then that the mini would be run in the morning before it gets too hot. To be honest the more I read about these rides the more excited I get. I must keep my feet on the ground though and no my limits. I don't want to take on too much and find I can't finish or something.

The two day version sounds good. Would you have any info on that.

Thanks . I'm inspired.
    :D:D:D
  • fuzzdog
    Also just watched the Bone breaker film. I reckon it's within my limitations but I think I really want to do some of the more iconic mountains. Good to see what it's like though. It gave me a bit of an insight into what to expect.
    Thanks
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Checked the sport communication website and the Mini Marmotte starts at 10 so you won't avoid the heat (if it is hot) but would you want to climb the Galibier in early morning cold? The 2 day version of the Marmotte is on there too but info in French - it's in the randonee section of events.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    There's a Granfondo starting and finishing in les Deux Alpes each August. The course is 160km long with a lot of climbing. You go over some decent (if not quite so famous) climbs, with the Parquetout particularly nice. You go a bit of the way up d'Huez before swinging round to finish at the top of les Deux Alpes. It was originally called the Pantani Granfondo after his ride to there in '98 but it changed a year or so ago.

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... rophee=161

I've done it a few times and stayed in les Deux Alpes both times. Easy enough to roll down to Bourg D'Oisans and do d'Huez if you want, although having done that, I'd recommend going the other way out of Bourg and climb up to Villard Notre Dame instead. It's a much better climb with spectacular views (and a couple of tunnels). Much quieter as well.

Having done a number of continental events though, I'd say the Italian ones are better than the French ones. They just seem to do it a bit better, and the Dolomites are an incredible place to ride. The Maratona dles Dolomites is the obvious place to start, and whilst the course itself isn't super tough, the event is hard to beat.
  • Time Megeve, June 8th

135km , 3500 Alpine Climbs

http://www.velo101.com/epreuves/la_time ... esentation

I'm in.
  • fuzzdog
    Thankyou all very much for all your useful information. I really appreciate it.
    I have been looking at another ride. Classic cold of the Tour de France which seems like an interesting proposition.
    I will look into the Italian alternatives as well. Although I think I need to get some of those tour climbs out of my system really if only because I love all that history. Not that there isn't amazing cycling history in Italy, Just that I'm more familiar with that of the tour. It has also crossed my mind that Alpe d'Huez doesn't seem like the most picturesque mountain but I still want to go there.

One thing I did see on one site was the gradients of the Alp. It said the max was 10% but I thought there was a tough bit right at the start that was about 18%. I guess it depends where you start.

Thanks everyone
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    The hardest part is in the first few kilometres, but it isn't really a very difficult climb. Obviously it will differ though if you do it at the end of a long day vs doing it on its own. And yeah, it's not worth the hype imo.