play in front triple chainset

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited January 2014 in Workshop
ive recently replaced my tiagra bottom bracket and its still has some play in it, is this normal.

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Have you checked both the bb and chainset have been fitted and tightened properly?
  • yes but they seem to have play soon after fitting, maybe its time to get a torque wrench
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are we talking about Hollowtech 2 outboard bearings or have you got an old Octalink or square taper jobbie?

What kind of play? Does the whole crankset simply slide from side to side or is there some up and down motion too?

Is the chainset Tiagra too?
  • i have hollowtech 2 and tiagra chainset all the chainset moves from side to side
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You need to take up the play before you tighten the pinch screws.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There should be no detectable side to side movement - ensure that the crank is fully home (firm whack with a rubber mallet on the drive side is my normal fix for new HT2 cranks ;-)) and then take-up slack on NDS with black adjuster
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    With a triple chainset there should be a spacer on each side. Have you installed them both?

(the drive side one would probably stay on the spindle when you removed it; you can easily miss it tucked behind the spider. The flatter, wider non drive side one would come off as the spindle is withdrawn; maybe this got overlooked on reassembly?

Alternatively, as mentioned above, seat the chainset with a firm tap from a mallet or whack with the flat of your hand, then apply preload using the star shaped tool in the plastic end cap (only finger tight!) before nipping up the pinch bolts on the crank.