1x9 or 2x9 and chain tension

L3BIUS
L3BIUS Posts: 91
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to change to either 1x9 or 2x9 with my gears, and I need something to tighten my chain up as I'm not to happy with it at the mo, it's come off a couple of times in places... My current setup is below, it's stock for a 2010 GT Aggressor xc1

chainset: Truvativ Blaze 3.1 chainset with sealed bearing BB
front derailleur: Shimano Deore
rear derailleur: Shimano SLX
shifters: Shimano Deore

Anyone for any suggestions for what I can do?
If just taking the biggest chainring off and getting a chain tensioner of some sort will do it then that would be great, any links to products appreciated
Thanks guys
The New Beast GT Aggressor 2013 project

The Old Beast GT Aggressor Hardtail 2011 Custom Spec

Places i want to visit:
Gisburn Forest, Afan Forest, Holmbury Hill, Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog, Fort William, Tweed Valley, Cwmcarn

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You have a tensioner - the rear mech, and a guide - the front mech.

Adjust everything and size the chain correctly and that's it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Make sure the chain is the correct length.

The mech does the tension.

You might want to fit a chain retention device of some sort. What will depend on your make/model/year of frame and if it has any mounts or if any device can be mounted.

Or you could splash out on a new gear set up with one of these narrow wide chain rings and a rear mech with a clutch system.

Or chose your gears better and go riding and spend the money on beer and hookers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • L3BIUS
    So if I were to simply remove the largest chainring and adjust the gear setup accordingly? Are there any chain retention guides you would recommend? I've seen a lot of people say bad things about most...

Places i want to visit:
    Gisburn Forest, Afan Forest, Holmbury Hill, Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog, Fort William, Tweed Valley, Cwmcarn
  • cooldad
    With a cartridge BB and no ISCG tabs you have problems. You shouldn't really need one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • L3BIUS
    Ok, but taking the large chainring off will be ok?

Places i want to visit:
  • cooldad
    Yep, adjust the high limit screw and resize the chain. Job done.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    L3BIUS wrote:
    Ok, but taking the large chainring off will be ok?

It will function fine once everything is adjusted correctly but it won't look too great so you could fit a bash guard in place of the largest ring, that would tidy things up a bit.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll either need shorter chainring bolts, an ally bash, or a polycarbonate bash with longer bolts, you can't just take the chainwheel off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    The Rookie wrote:
    You'll either need shorter chainring bolts, an ally bash, or a polycarbonate bash with longer bolts, you can't just take the chainwheel off.

or some spacers (wide washers) for the bolts.

If you go 2 x 9 you will just need to shorten the chain and adjust the front mech, it will be no more prone to jumping off than it was at 3 x 9.

If you go to 1 x 9 you will need something to guide the chain. You could just use the front mech though, but a chain device does looks smarter. As for good ones, they are only as good as you set them up. Superstar do good ones cheapo.
  • For 1 x 9 I got a single specific chain ring (Hope) and use it on the middle ring position. I had a Superstar seat tube mounted chain guide and it never dropped once so can highly recommend it (don't use it now so could always sell it to you :lol: ).

As for the chain, I just adjusted the length as I normally do so chain around both front and big ring at the back and then added three links. Job done!