Sram + Shimano = Trouble?

plodderpaul
plodderpaul Posts: 32
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

i am looking to purchase a "Winter" bike that is equipped with a Sram Rival groupset. My existing "best" bike has the Shimano DA 7900 groupset fitted.
I like both lever sets and want to know if there is anyone out there that has a combination of bikes fitted with Sram to one of them and Shimano fitted to another and does this causes any mis-shifts in the heat of the moment due to the different way that they work? Is this an issue at all?

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    I have red on my summer bike and 105 on my race bike. Ride them both a lot and rarely have an issue.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If someone did have difficulty riding 'one then the other' then they're lucky most cycling shoes have velcro on them as they'd probably struggle with shoelaces.
  • Only trouble being you'll want to replace that Shimano funny shifting method
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've both and yes I do fluff a few changes when I swap bikes but its just for the one ride. Usually. It's hardly trouble though.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've got SRAM on one bike, Shimano on two and Campag on the other... switching back to Campag takes a few gear changes for the muscle memory to click back in if I've not used that bike for a bit, but otherwise, really no problem.
  • Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a few shifts in the wrong direction can be expected which is no deal breaker. After being a Shimano fan for a long time it will be interesting to see if I prefer Sram or not.
    Cheers
    Paul
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I used to have Ultegra on one and Force on the other. Odd for the first 5 minutes but then you forget about it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm thinking that NO ONE can actually tell you if you'll have a problem or not. How could they know if you don't? :?
  • dennisn
    Nobody can know for sure if I will have a problem or not and that was not what I was asking but judging by the replies that I have received based on other rider's experiences there is a somewhat common answer coming back which was not negative and was what I was hoping for.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    dennisn
    Nobody can know for sure if I will have a problem or not and that was not what I was asking but judging by the replies that I have received based on other rider's experiences there is a somewhat common answer coming back which was not negative and was what I was hoping for.

^^ Well said that man :roll:
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    My 3 most used bikes have Campage Veloce, 105 and Sram. The first couple of changes after changing bikes need a bit of thought!