Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Rip Jenson Buttons Dad, John Button.

2»

Posts

  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    h60_FBABFC.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    VTech wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Famous person who I don't know's Dad, who is even further removed from my thoughts, dies.
    Forgive me if I don't give a monkeys.

    Are you this horrible in real life ?

    What s has it to do with being horrible ?
    I've never even heard of the guy, so why should I give a monkeys ? Millions of people die every year who I don't know, just because is one has a famous son doesn't mean I should feel any different.

    So what if he was human and a nice bloke, I'm sure that he was, but it still doesn't mean that I should have any concern that he's dead.

    But if it makes you feel any better R.I.P. Lynda Geter of New Jersey.


    This is your problem I'm afraid.
    Its not the fact that you didnt know him, nor that you had to say a nice passing sentence about him.
    Its the fact that even though you didn't know him, you felt the need to post something that simply wasn't decent. the better thing in your case would have been to say nothing.

    It's not my problem.
    There's nothing indecent about it. This is a thread on a forum, as such it invites comment; I commented with a fact which points out that I don't give a monkeys if someone who has no relevance to me dies. It's sad for those who knew him, but not for me, and if it's such a sad event to and responses may offend, then don't post it on an Internet forum and invite said responses.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,417
    No surprise that I am leaning towards Matt's point of view on this one. It is difficult to muster any feelings, good or bad, towards someone you don't know or have even heard of.
    Yes, it is easy to say nothing, but it is getting more prevalent, not just here, but at places like football matches, to mark someone you hadn't heard of's death in some way. Frankly, it is somewhat tiresome.
    I am not trying to detract from the hurt a deceased person's friends and family feel, but it is their pain alone. Like Matt, I find it difficult to feel sadness for someone I didn't know existed.
  • GiantMikeGiantMike Posts: 3,139
    VTech wrote:
    This is your problem I'm afraid.
    Its not the fact that you didnt know him, nor that you had to say a nice passing sentence about him.
    Its the fact that even though you didn't know him, you felt the need to post something that simply wasn't decent. the better thing in your case would have been to say nothing.
    So these threads are for people who know him or can make up a nice passing sentence about somebody they don't know? Everybody else should just ignore them?

    Obituary threads are very useful to summarise a person's life and achievements, to allow people to reflect for a moment on the life of a special individual whether they knew them or not. RIP threads are lazy and amount to little more than gossip, summarising the modern phenomenon of reducing a wealth of detail to a few empty words.

    If you knew him and have some interesting and worthy words to say about him others may feel more empathetic when they hear about his life, achievements, failings and contribution to society. The floor is yours.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    I am a true believer that when someone dies you pay respect.
    It used to be that when a neighbour died you would wait outside your home, tip your head in respect and note the death.
    You don't have to know someone to pay respects but even if that isn't your thing, it is absolutely disgusting to say or post any type of negative towards the death of someone. It is a horrid side of humanity and something I don't think I could ever understand.
    Whenever I am out driving and a funeral procession pass me by I always let them go, tip my head for half a second and thats it. Not because I knew them, not because I am sorry for the loss of that person but its a respect thing, the way I was bought up.

    There is a great council estate saying "if you have nothing good to say, keep quiet"
    Living MY dream.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    VTech wrote:
    I am a true believer that when someone dies you pay respect.
    what if they're a c*nt of a human being ?
    It used to be that when a neighbour died you would wait outside your home, tip your head in respect and note the death.
    but that's nothing to do with people who don't have any relevance to you.
    You don't have to know someone to pay respects but even if that isn't your thing, it is absolutely disgusting to say or post any type of negative towards the death of someone. no one here has said anything negative, I've just stated that I don't care and it means nothing to me. It is a horrid side of humanity and something I don't think I could ever understand.
    Whenever I am out driving and a funeral procession pass me by I always let them go, tip my head for half a second and thats it. Not because I knew them, not because I am sorry for the loss of that person but its a respect thing, the way I was bought up.
    Why ? You may be showing respect to a truly vile individual.

    There is a great council estate saying "if you have nothing good to say, keep quiet"
    that has nothing to do with council estates.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    MattC59 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I am a true believer that when someone dies you pay respect.
    what if they're a c*nt of a human being ?
    It used to be that when a neighbour died you would wait outside your home, tip your head in respect and note the death.
    but that's nothing to do with people who don't have any relevance to you.
    You don't have to know someone to pay respects but even if that isn't your thing, it is absolutely disgusting to say or post any type of negative towards the death of someone. no one here has said anything negative, I've just stated that I don't care and it means nothing to me. It is a horrid side of humanity and something I don't think I could ever understand.
    Whenever I am out driving and a funeral procession pass me by I always let them go, tip my head for half a second and thats it. Not because I knew them, not because I am sorry for the loss of that person but its a respect thing, the way I was bought up.
    Why ? You may be showing respect to a truly vile individual.

    There is a great council estate saying "if you have nothing good to say, keep quiet"
    that has nothing to do with council estates.


    So by all you have said above it depends on wether the human was good or bad in which case can I ask you what vile things MrB had done ?
    Whats wrong with you man ? I can accept it if your trying to take the mic and get a reaction from me but if your using a thread about the death of what was a very good man then shame on you.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I am a true believer that when someone dies you pay respect.
    what if they're a c*nt of a human being ?
    It used to be that when a neighbour died you would wait outside your home, tip your head in respect and note the death.
    but that's nothing to do with people who don't have any relevance to you.
    You don't have to know someone to pay respects but even if that isn't your thing, it is absolutely disgusting to say or post any type of negative towards the death of someone. no one here has said anything negative, I've just stated that I don't care and it means nothing to me. It is a horrid side of humanity and something I don't think I could ever understand.
    Whenever I am out driving and a funeral procession pass me by I always let them go, tip my head for half a second and thats it. Not because I knew them, not because I am sorry for the loss of that person but its a respect thing, the way I was bought up.
    Why ? You may be showing respect to a truly vile individual.

    There is a great council estate saying "if you have nothing good to say, keep quiet"
    that has nothing to do with council estates.


    So by all you have said above it depends on wether the human was good or bad in which case can I ask you what vile things MrB had done ?
    Whats wrong with you man ? I can accept it if your trying to take the mic and get a reaction from me but if your using a thread about the death of what was a very good man then shame on you.

    So just as MattC59 has to explain what personal experience he has to justify suggesting the man was bad what personal experience to you have to prove he was good?

    I'm not saying he was either because I know absolutely nothing about the guy either from a personal perspective or what I know from the media!

    If people don't have first hand experience of a person they can not comment either way about someone as they are relying on information from a third party.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • Grate thread, would read again. 3/10.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,417
    Grate thread, would read again. 3/10.


    no doubt you will. Next time someone posts a RIP thread.
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Grate thread, would read again. 3/10.


    no doubt you will. Next time someone posts a RIP thread.

    Can't we just have a generic RIP thread that anyone can add to when someone they give a shite about dies.

    It would save all these threads :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • ToeKneeToeKnee Posts: 376
    Can we have a thread to store all the missing apostrophes? Let's call it Pedants' Corner?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Can we have a thread to store all the missing apostrophes? Let's call it Pedants' Corner?

    So what youre saying is we have no grasp of the queens english :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • nathancomnathancom Posts: 1,567
    VTech wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I am a true believer that when someone dies you pay respect.
    what if they're a c*nt of a human being ?
    It used to be that when a neighbour died you would wait outside your home, tip your head in respect and note the death.
    but that's nothing to do with people who don't have any relevance to you.
    You don't have to know someone to pay respects but even if that isn't your thing, it is absolutely disgusting to say or post any type of negative towards the death of someone. no one here has said anything negative, I've just stated that I don't care and it means nothing to me. It is a horrid side of humanity and something I don't think I could ever understand.
    Whenever I am out driving and a funeral procession pass me by I always let them go, tip my head for half a second and thats it. Not because I knew them, not because I am sorry for the loss of that person but its a respect thing, the way I was bought up.
    Why ? You may be showing respect to a truly vile individual.

    There is a great council estate saying "if you have nothing good to say, keep quiet"
    that has nothing to do with council estates.


    So by all you have said above it depends on wether the human was good or bad in which case can I ask you what vile things MrB had done ?
    Whats wrong with you man ? I can accept it if your trying to take the mic and get a reaction from me but if your using a thread about the death of what was a very good man then shame on you.
    You are great at trying to stuff your opinions down other people's throats. There are 7 billion people on the planet - I reserve the right not to give a censored when any one of those said 7 billion people die if they are almost entirely unknown to me. A much greater man died yesterday http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namdeo_Dhasal
  • GiantMikeGiantMike Posts: 3,139
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Can we have a thread to store all the missing apostrophes? Let's call it Pedants' Corner?
    Well, that depends on how many pedants possess the corner. At the moment it looks like it's just you. Pedant's Corner?
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • nathancom wrote:
    You are great at trying to stuff your opinions down other people's throats.

    I actually think he's mentally imbalanced.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • de riende rien Posts: 84
    arran77 wrote:


    What a story if he'd been shot!
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    nathancom wrote:
    You are great at trying to stuff your opinions down other people's throats.

    I actually think he's mentally imbalanced.

    I have never decided, nor drawn an opinion on who you or anyone should morn, I have simply said you should attack others who do or the dead by making such horrid comments knowing you are offending people.
    It won't get through to you due to who you are but I feel sad for you both, I pity you both deeply in the strongest sense.
    Living MY dream.
  • GiantMikeGiantMike Posts: 3,139
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    You are great at trying to stuff your opinions down other people's throats.

    I actually think he's mentally imbalanced.

    I have never decided, nor drawn an opinion on who you or anyone should morn, I have simply said you should NOT attack others who do, or the dead, by making such horrid comments knowing you are offending people.
    It won't get through to you due to who you are but I feel sad for you both, I pity you both deeply in the strongest sense.
    FTFY
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    VTech wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I am a true believer that when someone dies you pay respect.
    what if they're a c*nt of a human being ?
    It used to be that when a neighbour died you would wait outside your home, tip your head in respect and note the death.
    but that's nothing to do with people who don't have any relevance to you.
    You don't have to know someone to pay respects but even if that isn't your thing, it is absolutely disgusting to say or post any type of negative towards the death of someone. no one here has said anything negative, I've just stated that I don't care and it means nothing to me. It is a horrid side of humanity and something I don't think I could ever understand.
    Whenever I am out driving and a funeral procession pass me by I always let them go, tip my head for half a second and thats it. Not because I knew them, not because I am sorry for the loss of that person but its a respect thing, the way I was bought up.
    Why ? You may be showing respect to a truly vile individual.

    There is a great council estate saying "if you have nothing good to say, keep quiet"
    that has nothing to do with council estates.


    So by all you have said above it depends on wether the human was good or bad in which case can I ask you what vile things MrB had done ?
    Whats wrong with you man ? I can accept it if your trying to take the mic and get a reaction from me but if your using a thread about the death of what was a very good man then shame on you.

    As you were talking in general terms, so was I. Unless of course it was Mr B's funeral procession that has passed you, and if it was, then your post suggests multiple times. Please point out where I have inferred that Mr B has done vile things ?

    As for your comment about showing respect to those in randon funeral processions. Unless you know them, or know anything about the deceased, you can't offer respect about anything. What are you respecting and why ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nathancomnathancom Posts: 1,567
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    You are great at trying to stuff your opinions down other people's throats.

    I actually think he's mentally imbalanced.

    I have never decided, nor drawn an opinion on who you or anyone should morn, I have simply said you should attack others who do or the dead by making such horrid comments knowing you are offending people.
    It won't get through to you due to who you are but I feel sad for you both, I pity you both deeply in the strongest sense.
    More sanctimonious guff. You seem to think you are Mother Theresa or something. Usually people like you, who claim some moral high ground, end up being found out as frauds.

    No one made a horrible comment, they just expressed indifference about the death of the relative of someone who drives a car around in circles for a living. You took offence and tried to ram your opinions down everyone's throat like normal.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    edited January 2014
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    You are great at trying to stuff your opinions down other people's throats.

    I actually think he's mentally imbalanced.

    I have never decided, nor drawn an opinion on who you or anyone should morn, I have simply said you should attack others who do or the dead by making such horrid comments knowing you are offending people.
    It won't get through to you due to who you are but I feel sad for you both, I pity you both deeply in the strongest sense.

    No one has attacked anybody for mourning, I have simply said that the deceased means nothing to me. As I previously pointed out, if someone who has posted an RIP thread is genuinely in mourning and may take offence and such comments, then perhaps a public forum isnt' the place to mourn.

    As an aside from this particular thread, might I also suggest that you're not so condescending in your posts, its a tone that you use in all of your discussions, including those which I can't be bothered with, and it's not overly becoming.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • CiBCiB Posts: 6,098
    MattC59 wrote:
    Famous person who I don't know's Dad, who is even further removed from my thoughts, dies.
    Forgive me if I don't give a monkeys.
    As a minimum you have to post RIP. It's the internet rules on any forum, even if you never met, knew, were aware of or even bothered about the recently departed.

    RIP. Who was it again?

    Shame. I like JB, followed his career all the way from his Ceefax ads for the BBC. And anyone who likes a drop of red is a decent cove in my book.
  • MonkeypumpMonkeypump Posts: 1,528
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Grate thread, would read again. 3/10.


    no doubt you will. Next time someone posts a RIP thread.

    Can't we just have a generic RIP thread that anyone can add to when someone they give a shite about dies.

    It would save all these threads :wink:

    Better still, can we have one thread (perhaps as a sticky) where all the playschool pr*cks can go to squabble and insult each other?

    As posted elsewhere, it's getting very boring when MattC59, VTech, etc. hijack every thread with pointless bickering. I know it's the internet, but FFS, can we just all grow up a little?
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    Monkeypump wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Grate thread, would read again. 3/10.


    no doubt you will. Next time someone posts a RIP thread.

    Can't we just have a generic RIP thread that anyone can add to when someone they give a shite about dies.

    It would save all these threads :wink:

    Better still, can we have one thread (perhaps as a sticky) where all the playschool pr*cks can go to squabble and insult each other?

    As posted elsewhere, it's getting very boring when MattC59, VTech, etc. hijack every thread with pointless bickering. I know it's the internet, but FFS, can we just all grow up a little?

    As you've decided to throw insults I assume that includes you ? :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MonkeypumpMonkeypump Posts: 1,528
    MattC59 wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Grate thread, would read again. 3/10.


    no doubt you will. Next time someone posts a RIP thread.

    Can't we just have a generic RIP thread that anyone can add to when someone they give a shite about dies.

    It would save all these threads :wink:

    Better still, can we have one thread (perhaps as a sticky) where all the playschool pr*cks can go to squabble and insult each other?

    As posted elsewhere, it's getting very boring when MattC59, VTech, etc. hijack every thread with pointless bickering. I know it's the internet, but FFS, can we just all grow up a little?

    As you've decided to throw insults I assume that includes you ? :wink:

    Okay, you got me :oops:

    But it is getting a little silly. Wading through the censored -for-tat arguments to get to any interesting content shouldn't be the case, certainly as it is for an increasing number of threads.

    I'm not taking sides, but would like to see things stay within the realms of reasonable banter.
  • cornerblockcornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Monkeypump wrote:


    As posted elsewhere, it's getting very boring when MattC59, VTech, etc. hijack every thread with pointless bickering. I know it's the internet, but FFS, can we just all grow up a little?

    Boring? Are you kidding? I'm still laughing at "council estate saying". :lol:
  • This is almost as good as the non-appearing super decals!!! :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.