A fast winter tyre

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, ive recently started riding 3-4 hour rides, and i have learnt alot about how i should have my bike set up, and i feel as if my tyres are the next most sensible thing to change. I was going for a set of new pedals, but i have decided that the tyres are the best thing to change for me now.

So far every single ride has been muddy, so ive used these two tyres for every ride.

Kenda Blue Groove 2.1 - Front

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 51crx.aspx

Kenda Nevegal 2.1 - Rear

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... dtc-33001/

They give me plenty of grip, and i have never felt as if i had more grip while using them. I run them at quite a high tyre pressure too. Around 30 PSI. (Not the best with a full rigid bike) At the start of the ride the rolling resistance isnt a problem really, but towards the end of the rides i could do with a bit less of a draggy tire.

This is the one that looks the closest to what im looking for so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxxis-Medusa ... 3f24ba1cb8

Anyone else have any good suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Specialized storm control? Maxxis beaver?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's no such thing as a fast winter tyre.
    Nevagals are aweful in all conditions no matter what compound.
    Medusas are only good in real slop.
    What are the trail conditions like?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Also as you're on a fully rigid bike you're better off going for 2.2-2.4 tyres with smaller teeth as they will give you better cucshioning. Conti trail kings are good, although not a proper mud tyre, but by the sounds of it you're not really looking for a proper mud tyre...
  • gt-arrowhead
    The beavers look decent too, cheap on CRC. Thanks.

I thought not.

Conditions are mostly thick-ish mud. Not too sticky, more watery than sticky.

Its a bit hard to describe the type of mud throughout really. Just picture natural forest trails after continuous rainfall.

The nevegals get fantastic reviews, what makes them so bad in your opinion?
  • gt-arrowhead
    Cqc wrote:
    Also as you're on a fully rigid bike you're better off going for 2.2-2.4 tyres with smaller teeth as they will give you better cucshioning. Conti trail kings are good, although not a proper mud tyre, but by the sounds of it you're not really looking for a proper mud tyre...

Im not looking for something thats "full on maximum grip in loads of mud" type of tyres. As long as im not wheelspinning all the time then im fine.

Its rear end grip im worried about more than the front.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing wrong with Nevegals unless you are Monkeywhatsit.

These are better though, similar tread pattern, and cheap.

http://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/1541842/ ... -tyre.aspx
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gt-arrowhead
    Are the panaracer fires any good? Thinner is better isnt it? So it can cut through then grip at the bottom. And it would help me with my rolling resistance problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panaracer-Fir ... 2ecb46bf9b These come in red too

Im spoilt for choice now. So many options.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nevagals are aweful. They came fitted to my Trance and Reign X, both in the expensive compound. They are ok in the dry, dusty conditions we get for 2 days a year, absolutely hopeless in mud.
    On the trails you ride is it really wet mud on top of hard pack? If it is then something like a 2.25" Nobby Nic or 2.3" Highroller 2. Otherwise Bontrager XR4, Specialized Purgatory or Conti Rubber Queen, maybe a Conti Baron if the ground is really soft.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    The Rookie loves Panaracer Fire XC Pro's! I use Rocket Rons at the moment (2.25 front, 2.1 rear) for road/mud/gloop/dry/gravel/sand/rocks .... tend to just fit a fast rolling tyre I like and use it in all conditions! Remember a lot of it is more about technique rather than how grippy your tyres are.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Remember a lot of it is more about technique rather than how grippy your tyres are.
    +1

2 months ago I was convinced my tyres were shite. One skills course later and I now use the shoulders of the tyre to lean into corners = seemingly limitless grip.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I prefer Bontrager XR Mud to Medusas. They seem better in a wider range of conditions - though on wet chalk they are just as rubbish as everything else, as I was reminded a couple of weeks ago.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Remember a lot of it is more about technique rather than how grippy your tyres are.
    +1

2 months ago I was convinced my tyres were shite. One skills course later and I now use the shoulders of the tyre to lean into corners = seemingly limitless grip.
    Yep, I just use the same tyres all year round. Not sure about my technique, but as the whole country is soggy for large chunks of the year I can't be arsed to change them.
    Maxxis Ignitor eXception FWIW.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Greer_ wrote:
    The Rookie loves Panaracer Fire XC Pro's!
    I do, as an all condition tyre they are great, fairly fast rolling cope with mud OK (slight tendancy to clogging if it's really sticky) master of no surface but also won't let you down badly on one either.

Front grip is more important that rear, a rear end slide is catchable, the only thing that catches a front end slide is you when you hit the ground!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Dirty Dan is a lightweight tyre of similar ilk to the Storm Control/Beaver/Mud X, IMO they're not quite as grippy as a Mud X (not tried the others), but they're 440g or so, good for muddy races.

Personally I really hate Fire XCs, don't understand why anyone would use them, heavy, slow and sod all grip IME, which just shows how opinions can differ.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Thanks for the replies guys.

About that technique thing, i know what you mean. I think the 2 massive Kenda tyres im using at the moment are a bit too much for what i ride. I can get along with no problems but it could be better. I find myself bogging down so often in the mud rather than cutting through it. One of the people i ride with uses the Bontrager Mud Xs and he is happy with them. He says he likes them because they get into the mud down to the bottom and can really feel them grip in.

I think a thinner tyre would be ideal for me too. The Panaracers in 1.8 look like a good bet, because they look like a faster rolling tyre and are thin so should help me cut through the mud.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    If you want a proper mud tyre panaracer trailrakers have the most ridiculous tread I have seen in the flesh. Fairly cheap too if I remember correctly.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A decent mud tyre, but utterly useless on anything else! The Mud X etc are good all round winter tyres, pretty acceptable grip levels even on hard stuff, whilst Trail Rakers, by virtue of having a very 'upright' tread are terrifying on anything but proper mud. In proper mud a 1.5" Black Shark is even better, they really are mental!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    If your on a budget you could always try something like the WTB Wolverine folding tyre in 1.75". Only 474g and about £15. Just slapped some on my Maxlight rigid (which you've seen in one of your other threads) but haven't got round to trying yet.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Thanks, I was initially putting my budget quite high, around 20-25 quid per tyre. I got given some money to get a months gym membership but i thought id rather spend it on the bike :P

Those wolverines look like a nice bet too. Much cheaper and all.

Looks like what im looking for. Low rolling resistance, and shouldnt have me wheelspinning all over the place.

I saw this review on the wolverines, is pretty good considering ive only used 3 tyres offroad, and this review just happens to mention two of them!
    The WTB Wolverine 2.2 came stock on my KHS XCT 556. They are OK tires and fill that middle of the road need. They have more traction than say a Maxxis Aspen, but don't roll as fast. They are faster than the Kenda Nevegals but don't grip nearly as well, I guess they're good tires if you're starting out and want to explore different terrain, but one you got your local trails figured out, there are better tires.

I've removed the Wolverines completely and now run Kenda Nevegals up front and Maxxis Aspens on the back. So far, a nice combination for So. Cal fire roads and single tracks.

Personally i think he is a nutcase. An Aspen on the back and a Nevegal on the front? The nevegal has a very flat profile. Would never put that on the front.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    the guys over at Epping used these last winter with some degree of success
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYGXDTFT/g ... lding-tyre
    Cheap too.

I have a 2.0 Mud X you can have if your nice
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • cooldad
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    the guys over at Epping used these last winter with some degree of success
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYGXDTFT/g ... lding-tyre
    Cheap too.

I have a 2.0 Mud X you can have if your nice
    Careful that could be construed as grooming.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have found the specialized purgatory control 2.3's faultless so far, in pretty much any condition. They are also bloody good value think I paid £25 a tyre, was a while ago so have forgotten.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bit of a hijack but does anyone have experience of Beavers tubeless on Stan's Flows? I like the look of the Beavers and now is as good a time as any to try tubeless.
  • gt-arrowhead
    I think ive decided on going for the 1.75 Continental Explorers. Tenner each on CRC. Should be good in the mud but not draggy. Just what im looking for.

The tread looks promising

images_zps06f4e4ed.jpg

big_482_1_zps8d5bad78.jpg

And the money i saved can be spent on getting a lightweight tube for the rear, and take the Tescos tube and keep it as a spare in my back pack.

That still leaves me another £15 to do whatever with. Maybe get another tube for the front too and have two spares. And spend the tenner on some Halo allen key skewers. :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cont ... -prod18904
  • Dunno if you have already bought the Continental explorers but I ride a ridgid bike and have just changed over to a 2.3" Specialzed Purgutory control on the front and so far have found it excellent. It measures a little smaller than the stated size. More like a 2.2". I find the shape of it cuts quite nicely into mud and its a nice soft compound. I rolls along quite nicely and doesn't feel draggy.
    Lookjing at the tread on that Explorer makes me think it won't roll all that well. I think its because the centre knobs seem a bit uneven.
  • flatpat
    flatpat Posts: 78
    I have some 2.1 Explorers and they're very skittish - will slide about on every root, every stone. Quick though. Maybe put one on the back and find something a little safer for the front.