Garmin edge 800 or mio cyclo 505

frazered
frazered Posts: 333
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Toss up between the two. Mio far more modern and better internals with Bluetooth 4.0.

Edge 800 effectively left out in the cold by garmin as their focus (if you can call it that) has moved to the 810.

Mio 505 with HRM and cadence can be had for 209 from halfords with vouchers off plus cashback

Edge 800 was on at 209 but now looks to be 242 from PBK with a voucher.

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/outdo ... prices.htm

Ta :-)

Comments

• I am completely new to this forum thing so don't know if this helps you. That said others have been very helpful to me so for what its worth here we go.
    I have been considering the same for the past 6 months it was MIO one day then Garmin the next. Basically after trawling days and nights I have come to the conclusion that it is the Garmin 800 for me, simply based on reviews, functionality and useability. It seems you can upload your own routes/maps aswell - sorry cant recollect the link. And albeit there seems to be more positive reviews for the Garmin than MIO which also got good reviews, I think it was the Strava that was doing it for me personally.
    And like you I missed the £209 price which is annoying me a little - well can't complain as I wasn't using this forum so I wasn't actively monitoring that site. Still frustrating though.
    Anyway rather than not get any response (as I did re a bike I really liked) thought I would just post a few lines. Anyway hope it helps a little :-)
  • frazered
    Chose the mio 505 as I managed to daisy chain some vouchers and get it for 190. Better on paper for everything just lesser known.

Will use and report back. :-)
  • frazered wrote:
    Chose the mio 505 as I managed to daisy chain some vouchers and get it for 190. Better on paper for everything just lesser known.

Well done, and good scoop too. :D
    Be interested to see how you find it so look forward to reading your result.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    frazered wrote:

The scourge of the Internet! ;)
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I'd be interested if it works OK with Strava. I used to have a 305, but due to gpx files being an informal standard they used a different extension to Garmin for cadence and HR, so Strava did not understand that data and just ignored it. I did have a workround, but it was tedious.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    cattytown wrote:
    I'd be interested if it works OK with Strava. I used to have a 305, but due to gpx files being an informal standard they used a different extension to Garmin for cadence and HR, so Strava did not understand that data and just ignored it. I did have a workround, but it was tedious.

Paul.

The thing to do there is to write some XSLT to transform the Mio format into the Garmin format.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    While a utility for translating would have been viable, doing it just didn't interest me - ICBA to check what was really needed in the format to make it work properly.. I filed doing it under "life's too short".

I was curious if Mio/Strava worked better together with the 505.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • earth
    cattytown wrote:
    I filed doing it under "life's too short".
    P.

I know what you mean. But I have a Garmin 800 and find the faults in it irritating so I was interested in the Mio 505 instead. Shame if it does not work well with Strava. But if I could find the schema definitions for the formats I might have done something useful and written a translator tool.

BTW the Garmin look to have caught up with Mio in many ways with the Edge 1000.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    earth wrote:

Apart from the latter being the size of a dinner plate!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • earth
    Rolf F wrote:
    earth wrote:

Apart from the latter being the size of a dinner plate!

I bet its just as full of faults as the 800 as well.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    The big downside to using a mio is that they aren't as sleek to use with strava and the like. Their own PC software isn't fantastic either. Hopefully they'll catch up in those regards, because the devices themselves work well.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • earth
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    The big downside to using a mio is that they aren't as sleek to use with strava and the like. Their own PC software isn't fantastic either. Hopefully they'll catch up in those regards, because the devices themselves work well.

Can you get an out-in-front mount for them?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    earth wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Can you get an out-in-front mount for them?

Yes, some come with them. Otherwise, they are around £30, I haven't found any unbranded ones.

They are similar to the garmin ones, but using a garmin mount for a mio is a bad idea... my mum had to replace her unit after using a SRAM mount because the mount on the unit had broken.

This is the 305 one at least, I am assuming that the 505 uses the same moutning system.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • frazered
    Hello

Some quick findings after a decent amount of use

- compatible with out front mounts for garmins. I have the mio cyclo one but also the cheapo sram one on my best bike and winter bike. Works fine. Mio state in specs they are garmin mount compatible

- battery life is about a full day out. 8 til 5 ish was the limit. That was with out turn by turn. I would expect it to be less with guidance on. I have the brightness turned right down. Need to experiment with all cadence and speed sensors off.

- surprise me good. Definitely finds bike friendly, almost too much as you find yourself thinking there must be a more efficient way there

- loading a track and following it all ok but sometimes it gets confused when you Arrive at the start point and want to head onto the route, again I need to play with more.

- upload wifi to strava and mio website all fine. There is a plug in from the mio site so it syncs in all in one.

- altitude in strava appears to be less that recorded in mio. Mio say because strava calculates alt differently

- not much bigger than a 810. Defo smaller than a mio 305

- my mio 505 did not get on with the decathlon cadence And speed sensor. Kept crashing the 505. Switched tot the mio one and all fine.
  • Had various gps issues in the past with 800 unit and the final straw was loosing data after doing the col da madaline (P...s..ed) anyway had a grilling with garmin and to be fair they swapped it for a 510, Now heres the cool bit, the 510 is the only computer to get a "hot Fix" on GPS (american old satellite system but the first) and also the more recent Russian (glossnas system) it uses both and by all accounts glossnas is better....... any how my 510 is spot on like i mean where you stand, works in trees, hills around etc. so for me they all do the same so its the data quality you want.
  • J3w3ll3r
    J3w3ll3r Posts: 86
    I have a MIO 305, its ok but I would buy a garmin, in fact I may well buy a garmin

Its clunky and buggy, cadence sensor has never worked and the desktop software is just dire

Also been back once already as the quarter lock on the case back cracked for no reason albeit whilst MTbing fairly hard

SRAM Outfront mounts work to a fashion but mine twists about a bit but has never come of......yet
  • earth
    Had various gps issues in the past with 800 unit and the final straw was loosing data after doing the col da madaline (P...s..ed) anyway had a grilling with garmin and to be fair they swapped it for a 510, Now heres the cool bit, the 510 is the only computer to get a "hot Fix" on GPS (american old satellite system but the first) and also the more recent Russian (glossnas system) it uses both and by all accounts glossnas is better....... any how my 510 is spot on like i mean where you stand, works in trees, hills around etc. so for me they all do the same so its the data quality you want.

I recently wore my heart rate monitor while asleep to measure my resting heart rate when I was as relaxed as possible. The lengths I go to...

When I checked what the Garmin 800 had recorded it gave me an average heart rate but also recorded that I had traveled half a mile and climbed 200 ft. :shock:

That explains why I need so much sleep.
  • earth
    J3w3ll3r wrote:
    Its clunky and buggy, cadence sensor has never worked and the desktop software is just dire

But half of those reasons are exactly why I don't like the Garmin.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    earth wrote:
    I recently wore my heart rate monitor while asleep to measure my resting heart rate when I was as relaxed as possible. The lengths I go to...

When I checked what the Garmin 800 had recorded it gave me an average heart rate but also recorded that I had traveled half a mile and climbed 200 ft. :shock:

That explains why I need so much sleep.
    Sounds normal for any GPS unit left in one place for a period of time.