Bont Vaypor baking

gozzy
gozzy Posts: 640
edited January 2014 in Road general
Any experiences with soul moulding out there?

You're better off moulding your sole in the image of your feet, rather than your soul.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If they feel good without moulding, then give them a try as they are. I have a pair of A2s, which immediately felt like planks of wood when I tried them out of the box. I went through two cycles of heat moulding - and now I don't even feel like I'm wearing them, they are that comfortable.

If you don't have one already, buy an oven thermometer from a cookshop first - it's important to get the temp correct, and oven dials are pretty hit n miss....
  • Strangely, my Vaypor +'s didn't soften hardly at all in the oven, but at the same temp and time, my Bont Zero's did - nice and pliable and I felt they moulded to my feet well.

So either my oven's inaccurate (unlikely as it's quite a recent Siemens one?) or the layup in those shoes is different.

You might as well use the mould function though, can't hurt. Just don't pyrolyse them by mistake.....
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    mould them especially if you haven't had moulded shoes before. They should feel better.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've been looking at a pair Vaypors but have been put off by the heat moulding thing. My first concern is that neither of our two ovens actualy goes down to 70c also I'm unsure if it's ok to put them in a gas oven.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Imposter wrote:
    If they feel good without moulding, then give them a try as they are. I have a pair of A2s, which immediately felt like planks of wood when I tried them out of the box. I went through two cycles of heat moulding - and now I don't even feel like I'm wearing them, they are that comfortable.

If you don't have one already, buy an oven thermometer from a cookshop first - it's important to get the temp correct, and oven dials are pretty hit n miss....

All of what laddo said.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    I got my Bont Vaypors quite recently and tried the molding. The main benefit I noticed was in the uppers. There a few pressure points and they felt very stiff (and not in a good way out of the box). I heated them at 70 degrees for 20 minutes which made the uppers very pliable. After putting them on and letting them cool, they've since been very comfortable indeed - almost wouldn't know I was wearing them!

The soles are a different story. They did become softer which was noticable as I could squeeze the heel at both sides and feel and see some inward movement in the carbon. Maybe they were pushed out a bit while I was wearing them but not so much that I really noticed. I think I was expecting it to be so soft it was like putting my foot onto Plasticine - I would get a nice impression of my foot in the sole. I think now that wasn't very realistic!

Anyway, like I said it was worth molding just for the effect on the uppers.